How Powerful of a Laptop Should I Get?

jlubird

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016
I am looking at getting a gaming laptop. I want it to be able to play most games, but it is not needed to play them on ultra. Should I get a laptop with a GTX 1060 or 1070? Should I envest more for a SSD? Will an i5 quad core suffice? What size should it be, 15" or 17"? I am mostly looking for it to play all of the World of _____ games and Star Wars Battlefront. Again I dont want or need ultra I just need a playable FPS. Cheaper would be better, but I am willing to go up to $1750. Any help will be much appreciated.

Solution
Most laptop options with those GPU will include a Core i7-7700HQ. I'd stick with that. It is a bit faster and also has hyperthreading. It may not matter as much in desktops. With how much slower laptop processors are. Every bit counts.

The GTX 1060 6GB (not 3GB) will do quite well for current games at 1920x1080. The GTX 1070 8GB will have a longer useful life. But it is more for people who want Ultra settings on everything right now. The GTX 1060 models will generally be more portable or have better battery life.

I think an SSD is a worthwhile investment. It makes computers feel much more responsive. To me 512GB are well worth the cost even 1TB models. If the laptop supports it and you are willing to pay the extra expense. An NVMe...
Most laptop options with those GPU will include a Core i7-7700HQ. I'd stick with that. It is a bit faster and also has hyperthreading. It may not matter as much in desktops. With how much slower laptop processors are. Every bit counts.

The GTX 1060 6GB (not 3GB) will do quite well for current games at 1920x1080. The GTX 1070 8GB will have a longer useful life. But it is more for people who want Ultra settings on everything right now. The GTX 1060 models will generally be more portable or have better battery life.

I think an SSD is a worthwhile investment. It makes computers feel much more responsive. To me 512GB are well worth the cost even 1TB models. If the laptop supports it and you are willing to pay the extra expense. An NVMe model is even better. SSD are also more durable. As there are no moving parts. Something nice to have in a computer you carry with you.

Solution