How Rockstar Deals with Max Payne 3 Multiplayer Cheaters

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
erm! no cheating is using a program to give you abilities that others do not have. modding is where every 1 agrees to use a set of different skins, a tweaked set of rules or a modified game engine... its not the same and dont try to justify it... cheating is and always has been shunned because it allows players to cheat to cough *win... modding doesnt allow you to win its just changing the look/feel of a game. its still a level playing field...
i have played games for over 30 years and most of the time i have seen cheats they are all about hiding the fact they are cheating. it gives them a false sence of respect because they dont get it in the real world and they cant get it in the gaming world either, there just loosers and nothing more... ban them and let them cry that they got banned...

* not that you actually win your bot won and you lost because you payed $100 for it then get banned and laughed at coz your lame.

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Haha, brilliant. Imagine the sad look on people's faces, when they realise how futile & lame it is to play against other cheaters.

maqsabre

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
what if the cheaters evade such punishment using some other exploits or hacks and join playing with the usual gamers

MrMeth

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
I think this is a great idea , its funny because about a month ago i was talking to one of my friends about this type of "sorting" of online players for games like Warcraft 3 and diablo 3. Let the cheaters and the players who consistently drop play together.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Don't have much respect left for rockstar, but I have to say this is a good idea. Letting people play the game as they see fit, instead of dictating how it's allowed to be played. Respect.

awood28211

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
i remember in the original Unreal Tournament... There was a cheat mod for an aimbot that would announce to the entire game when you turned it on or off... You could "fix" it so it didn't but the newbs who didn't know how were always busted... but then again... since it only aimed directly at the head, the "God like" announcement of a player in their first 5 seconds of game play was a huge indicator since every hit was an insta-kill head shot.

atmos929

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]rajaawad23[/nom]what if hackers enjoy playing in the cheating pool[/citation]
I bet they will... this is at least an interesting idea of doing things differently, let's see the income... hopefully the results are real and not a cheat :p

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
On a more interesting note.... Would they allow regular player to jump in and out of the cheater pool at will? This had a rather high potential for grinding out reaction skills.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
That's quite an ingenious thought. I like the concept of trolling the cheaters, since cheaters are in a way, trolling the innocent players. Perhaps future ideas for a FPS version of this idea can be that if you're found cheating, your weapons are nerfed to deal 0.01 damage.

G

This isn't real life, so stop acting like it's a terrible idea to let people who PAID FOR THE GAME play, even if they cheat. So long as they're not allowed to play with us after they've been caught, this sounds like an excellent plan. It doesn't "send a message" that cheating is ok, to be sent to a server populated solely by cheaters. It tells cheaters that they can cheat, and expect to have people cheat back against them. Leveling the playing field.

As one other person said, allowing people to play the game as they choose is never a bad thing. Especially if the different populations can be kept separate, as is being proposed in the article.

G

This isn't new. Valve has been doing this for years with the source engine by only allowing cheaters to connect to non secure servers. It's been very effective.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]Eman25th[/nom]reminds me of a comment on here about cheating, someone said "why dont they just put them on their own server and play against other hackers!" i hope this works out the way Rockstar wants it to.[/citation]

Heh, I made that comment on another post about a month ago. Maybe it was me. Grrr. should have patented it. But then again, me and a friend were shooting the shit about selling in-game items for an RPG and making the game free about ten years ago. Wish I would have went to law school when I got out of college instead of engineering.

sp0nger

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
[citation][nom]dfg32[/nom]ive been longing for something like this since the days of counter strike. it baffles me that game companies are only starting with this today.[/citation]

Counter Strike has been doing this for years, you get caught cheating you can play on VAC secured servers only unsecured servers that are rampant with other cheaters

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
That should be done with every game!! Should do an ingame cam also so people can watch the action. Hate cheaters, but that would be fun to watch. LOL.

rawoysters

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
[citation][nom]archange[/nom]The Good: it keeps honest players free from the cheaters plague.The Bad: it allows cheaters to continue playing.The Ugly: it validates cheating, when it should be outcast.[/citation]
But, aren't they being outcast?

G

I think this may prove an important philosophical point to even the most braindead of 3rd graders cheating online; they'll learn how pointless and stupid it is to cheat at video games. Once they get in a server and *everyone* is aimbotting, they'll get bored pretty quick and recognize this is a waste of time. Other that, or some bizarre new breed of cheating pros will emerge, where people find the best ways to cheat, i.e. camping spots for aimbot usage, specific routes to maximize speed hack etc. All in all, pretty fucking gay.

Status
Not open for further replies.