How the Internet of Things Could Kill You

Status
Not open for further replies.

godnodog

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
How about !"if is not needed, is not connected".
I can see in the future marketing campaigns "It does not require internet connection"

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
The doctor can come get my printed logs. They don't need to monitor my health and heart in real time. Neither do my children or neighbours. Neither does the robot that is put in care of me, as the elderly. I am a voting citizen, and I deserve my right of health privacy, away from hackers, and glitches and bugs that will give me my medicine at the right time. Of course, I cannot tell which medicine it is, or how much I should take, but I learned and wrote it down 20 years ago when I got my medicine and now the electronics system only makes sure I get my fix every time I go to the pharmacy. Because no hacker or system malfunction can mix up the details, no careless doctor may mistake one bottle for another, no sweatshop slave will ever mistake anything, no robotic or human controller will check something within the parameters of their sensors but miss something outside of their scope. No, nothing like that can ever occur. So, I only need to fear inside my home, but outside, I may be robbed and attacked, I may have to travel with my arthritis and whatnot to the drug store, or to the door so the delivery person may give me my medicines... but what's a bit of discomfort for security? No? Airport Security? Terrorism threats and good NSA guys monitoring everything so they can catch those damn terrorists? And I will understand they mistaking me for a terrorist because I researched the wrong word on google. It was my fault after all. I am glad to even pay the fees for their investigation, capture and information delivery expenses. I am a good cog in the system. And I can vote. Though, not sure about this last part.

Ben Myers

Estimable
Jul 21, 2014
I think I'll keep my things off the internet. All we need are some malicious terrorist hackers who target a specific device, write the code, then go and mess up the device, whether it is your car, your refrigerator, or your medical device. Don't forget that these are largely embedded systems, which do not have the ability themselves to notify you that a terrorist attack is coming. Well, I guess that terrorist attackers could blackmail the manufacturers of the device, couldn't they? And the manufacturers would have mega-insurance to cover them for all the class action lawsuits or wrongful death lawsuits that ensue when their crap gets hacked. IoT??? Fugeddabout it!

Status
Not open for further replies.