How to access F1-F12 keys without pressing FN keys first?

jacq_idio

Commendable
Oct 9, 2016
Hi,
I'm not a techy person, I own Toshiba satellite c55-c2042, lately I had an issue with my bcd, so I did a clean install of Windows 10, everything went smoothly, til I noticed something. I can't access F1-F12 keys without pressing FN first.

I searched online, found a solution, by going to BIOS settings, changing system configuration where I changed action keys settings to just F1 to F12. pressed F10 to save and reboot. However, upon start up, the problem still exist. I can't use F1-F12 without pressing FN first.

Please, what else can I do, help me.

Pardon me for my bad English, I hope
I managed to explain it well for your understanding.

Thanks.

Solution
Most likely you should be able to download an EXE file from Toshiba to update the BIOS. Most newer systems allow it to be done that way. :)

Then all you need to do is make sure no programs are running. Run the EXE file and then reboot. :)
Does your keyboard have an fn lock key? It is usually any other key (often the escape key) with a little lock symbol on it. If you press that, it should allow you to use the f keys without holding down the fn key.

Also, you might look in "Control Panel" and then "Keyboard" and check the settings. And also in "Device Manager" and then "Keyboard" to check there as well.

jacq_idio

Commendable
Oct 9, 2016

I did check control panel, but unfortunately I didn't see any settings that has to do with fn key.. I tried updating it via device manager as well but it says its updated, something like that.
No it doesn't have, I saw that solution too from one forum, like holding fn+esc I tried, it didn't work.

Also I tried changing function keys settings via Toshiba system settings, again it didn’t work..I'm really frustrated.

Been searching for answers for 3 days now. But to no avail..

I hope.I can find other solutions I would be happy to try it...

jacq_idio

Commendable
Oct 9, 2016
@webworkings,
True, I find it really odd as well, esp.after changing settings in bios...it should work right already...
How do I do that? Which driver should I uninstall.
Pls.teach me..I'm sorry I'm not really familiar with software troubleshooting...

xSimply1337x

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
if you aren't running the latest bios for your pc then update the bios.
And just pressing the FN+ESC isn't going to work if the ESC key isn't the key with the little lock symbol on it. avoiding the two other obvious lock symbols which would be the capslock and the numlock look for a key on your keyboard that has the little lock symbol for your F keys. unless the esc key is the key with the little lock on it.

Definitely check to see if there is an update for your bios and try changing the settings in your bios again.

xSimply1337x

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014

what is the make and model of your toshiba?
and defragmentating will only help to re organize the files locations in your HDD's sectors for better HDD performance.

jacq_idio

Commendable
Oct 9, 2016
Hi, it's Toshiba Satellite c55 -c2403 ( checked the box to be sure)
I don't really understand what is wrong,. I tried every possible solution i found on the net and still nothing works for me. From BIOS settings to system settings. Set it all to f1-f12 and yet, it's still the same upon reboot.

THANKS for the input in defragmenting.. I think I have to do that since I just reinstalled windows 10.

Btw, that's where the issue started...Had to do a clean install because my lt won't boot.

xSimply1337x

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014

Go HERE and type in your model. make sure you have the right letters and numbers for it (look on the device itself for them. I tried typing in what you gave me and the website didn't have anything), if it doesn't show up when you type it in try entering the serial number instead.

jacq_idio

Commendable
Oct 9, 2016
I already did that, before I post this query, got this here in Saudi Arabia, so I checked Toshiba middle east, but I didn't see anything that says about driver, it's really weird. I even emailed them but I didn't get any response. Someone told me I have to update bios. But I don't know exactly how to do that, I'm afraid I might brick my lt again.

Btw, the reason my lt got bricked in the first place is because of EASYBCD APPLICATION
I clicked bcd repair ( something like that)
After it restarted, it won't boot anymore..