How to attach a Vivitar 600mm solid cat lens to a Nikon D3100

jmgagnon

Prominent
Jun 17, 2017
I'm trying to figure out how to mount my solid catadioptric lens to my Nikon D3100 DSLR. The lens is a Vivitar Series 1 600mm f/8 catadioptric lens. Are there lens adapters that would facilitate this?

Also, although I can't see why it wouldn't, will the camera work with this lens? The lens is entirely manual.

Finally, would it be possible to use a tele-extender with this lens/camera combination? If so, what would be good recommendations?

Solution
Usually those lenses come with a t-mount, and you can buy a t-mount adapter for any camera style like Nikon, Canon, Sony, etc. Usually you can buy them with a teleconvertor as well made for it as it fits on the small end of the lens. Yes, they are fully manual focus so you'll have put your camera into a mode to use it.

jmgagnon

Prominent
Jun 17, 2017

Hmm, I don't understand camera or lens "mountings" very well. I was under the impression that the Nikon D3100 has an "F" type mount. How does that compare the "T" type mount?

USAFRet

Illustrious

You get a "T" to "F" adapter.

Like this one:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/750881-REG/Vello_LA_NF_T_Nikon_F_Mount_To.html

jmgagnon

Prominent
Jun 17, 2017
This is rather confusing. I did a search on the lens and it indicates that it has a "M42-.75 rear flange (?), which accepts T mount adapters so that the lens can be fitted to any 35mm camera" (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Vivitar_Series_1_Solid_Catadioptric_600mm_f8_lens.jpg). So does this mean I need a T-mount adapter that attaches to the threaded back of the lens, followed by a T to F mount adapter, finally followed by the camera body?

USAFRet

Illustrious

Then you need this:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1238903-REG/fotodiox_m42_nk_p_fl_m42_universal_screw_mount.html

Goes from M42 threads (on the lens) directly to an F mount for the Nikon.

jmgagnon

Prominent
Jun 17, 2017

After reading about this adapter, I have a bit of a concern. It indicates that "infinity focus is limited based on the specific lens in use." My intention is to use this lens to take images of the solar eclipse in August. This requires that I focus the lens to infinity. It looks like that could be a problem.

Once thing I do notice about this lens is its apparent ability to focus beyond infinity. I can literally rotate the housing quite away beyond the infinity mark until it reaches a stop. I've always been curious about that.

USAFRet

Illustrious

That lens should work.
Obviously, you have to do a LOT of practice shots to get the focus range correct, before the 3 minutes of solar eclipse. You won't be able to back up and do it again...:)

And you WILL need the proper solar filters.

And obviously, there is no "beyond infinity", by definition. The camera and the lens may be telling you different, but thats not the way it works.
Ignore the readings, and concentrate on the image it produces.

Solution