How to Auto Switch On/Off Onkyo 3500 when switching on/off Components (DVD)

Jangotrick

Prominent
Feb 12, 2017
I have Onkyo HT3500 and wanted to know if there is a way to auto-switch on/off the Onkyo system when I switch on/off the component system. Thanks in advance.

Solution
I wager no.

You maybe able to go the other way around, Onkyo off, component off, but not the way you want to.

The reason for this is, the Onkyo is the master, switching off one component doesn't mean you are done with it, you may want to use the Onkyo for something else. OTOH, when you switch off the Master, you are REALLY done.

Nothing that cannot be fixed with a fully programmable remote however, program a button to send two signals, one component off, two Onkyo off.
I wager no.

You maybe able to go the other way around, Onkyo off, component off, but not the way you want to.

The reason for this is, the Onkyo is the master, switching off one component doesn't mean you are done with it, you may want to use the Onkyo for something else. OTOH, when you switch off the Master, you are REALLY done.

Nothing that cannot be fixed with a fully programmable remote however, program a button to send two signals, one component off, two Onkyo off.

Solution

Jangotrick

Prominent
Feb 12, 2017

Thanks and well noted. Appreciate your assistance.

Is there any way I can connect the HDMI component cable so that I do not have to switch on the Onkyo System and the feed still reaches the TV.

*Some* receiver is able to do this, consult manual for a standby, pass thru mode.

I have a component like this, except that this component is a PC and has a DVI port in addition to HDMI. While HDMI is hooked up to receiver, I have its DVI hooked up directly to TV, dual-path if you will, which solves the receiver not having a pass-thru mode.