How to connect home theater to PC

Abdulbari1998

Estimable
Apr 4, 2015
Hello Guys,
I have a 5.1 Panasonic home theater and I want it to connect to PC but I want to enjoy the surround sound of 5.1 speaker I have a Asus Z-170 Deluxe motherboard which have a S/PDIF out port and my home theater also have a optical in so can I connect my home theater with optical cable? will I get surround sound?

Yes, you should get surround.

You may have to mess around with the VIDEO PLAYER and the "Playback Devices" setup for SPDIF such as what formats your RECEIVER can decode.

For example:
- right-click "playback devices"
- choose SPDIF-> properties
- supported formats
- check the ones supported

I think I remember some media players needing "SPDIF passthrough" or something enabled.

I use KLITE (Standard) with the WMPC-HC media player that is included. I don't see an SPDIF option so it may just work.

Abdulbari1998

Estimable
Apr 4, 2015

Thanks I'll check actually I don't have a optical cable and when I saw the port on my motherboard I thought that there is a special cable for SPDIF, there is one? or normal optical cable will work?

Abdulbari1998

Estimable
Apr 4, 2015

you mean HDMI port of home theater will connect to the HDMI port on the motherboard? I don't think that will work but thanks anyways I'll try :)

AnimeMania

Estimable
Dec 8, 2014

Exactly, motherboard or video card (most video cards also process sound). HDMI should sound slightly better than connecting with a S/PDIF cable, but it is very tricky to use HDMI, especially if you are using HDMI to connect to your monitor as well. It helps a lot if your home theater has HDMI pass-through.