how to connect laptop to 5.1 home theatre

Redaelbanon

Estimable
Nov 12, 2014
I bought a home theater 5.1 and I've connected the laptop to tv through HDMI
and I connected the sound to the theater by optic sound cable
but the rear speakers didn't work at all, although I've checked the connections
I tried to connect the sound directly from the laptop to the theater , and I had the same problem , the sound only comes from front, no sound from rear speakers

please any body can advise me

Solution
You need to make sure that the audio video setting in the laptop are set to output 5.1 if the source is 5.1
If the source is not 5.1 then you will need to select a surround mode in the receiver like Dolby ProLogic that will synthesis 5.1 from the 2.0 source,
I assume you get surround from other sources are used with receiver.

Redaelbanon

Estimable
Nov 12, 2014

I have toshiba satellite l750-1 um HDMI output , VGA output , one headphone output
my TV is samsung with HDMI input , audio output RCA and optic digital
My home theater has optic digital input , PC AUX , RCA and VCR input
I;ve tried to connect it through HDMI from TV , and by AUX by laptop directly but no sound from rear

Redaelbanoni

Estimable
Nov 12, 2014

My audio source is laptop one jack output
If thats the problem , is there any solution like external sound card or converter?

reedo_43

Distinguished
No, I know it is hdmi. If you are not playing a dvd with 5.1 or dts surround, all speakers will not work. If you are simply playing an mp3 music file for instance, it is stereo not 5.1 surround hence all of your speakers not working.

You need to make sure that the audio video setting in the laptop are set to output 5.1 if the source is 5.1
If the source is not 5.1 then you will need to select a surround mode in the receiver like Dolby ProLogic that will synthesis 5.1 from the 2.0 source,
I assume you get surround from other sources are used with receiver.

Solution