Solved! HOW TO CONNECT OLD VCR and DVR TO NEW TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2021
I just bought a TCL 435S525 smart TV. I want to be able to connect and older Magnavox MDV455/17 DVR to it which I believe requires an RCA to HDMI adapter. The TV has a yellow colored AV adapter plug, but the adapter did not come with the TV and is noted as not coming with it in the setup instructions. Can I just buy and AV adapter plug and use it for one device and buy an RCA to HDMI adapter to hook up the other? One of my old VCRs is a sony SLV-340 with only 2 black plugs and 2 yellow plugs. I believe this is due to it being a mono and not stereo sound. How does that old thing hook up? I hate to buy new tech. It gets outdated and cheaper so fast. I only bought the flat screen because my old cathode ray tube gave up the ghost a few months ago.

Jan 28, 2021
Simple adapter won´t work for RCA to HDMI. You will need an active converter to get it running with the new TV.

For what purposes do you wanna connect the old VCR and DVR? To watch old movies or similar? Or record from the TV?
I have a LOT of movies on both old formats. I doubt that and provider would broadcast unscrambled content for recording. I know with my cable provider I can't hook a TV into the wall and see anything unless I want to rent another cable box. I found an RCA to HDMI converter on Amazon. It is listed as :
  • Converts analog composite input to HDMI 1080p (60HZ) output,displayed on 1080p (60HZ) HDTV/Moniter
  • Support HDMI 1080p or 720p output.
  • Provide advanced signal processing with great precision,colors, resolutions, and details.Plug and play
  • Support PAL, NTSC3.58, NTSC4.43, SECAM, PAL/M, PAL/N standard TV formats input.
  • Attention: Please connect your power cable(included) to get this video converter working perfectly. Make sure your device has hdmi connector.
Would this allow connecting the VCR? Then the question remains about the mono Sony VCR. That unit has only black and yellow.

Jan 28, 2021
Should work with the converter.

For the VCR you can use the same converter plus an audio cable like:
https://www.amazon.com/03161-Value-Stereo-Y-Cable-Inches/dp/B0002J1KVM/ref=sr_1_3?crid=O5NIF8LVGFN6&dchild=1&keywords=rca+mono+to+stereo&qid=1612175333&sprefix=rca+mono,aps,429&sr=8-3

You should backup these old movies from the VCR before the cassettes are getting too old and won´t work at all.
Thanks, I will get one of those as well. You are right about those tapes. I have another VCR connected to a still working Sony Room Mate 19 inch. Haven't used it in years. Tried some old movies and a lot of them have grainy pictures with white streaks. I will try the old cleaner cassette in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.