Solved! How to connect passive subwoofer to onkyo receiver with pre out

Feb 23, 2020
Problem is Subwoofer is wired only (no input for jacks) . Have a pre amp available. with input and output jacks. Is there some type of connector available on the market?
Thanks Bobby222

Feb 23, 2020
Thanks for the reply Helpstar. This older gent is not a tech wizard. So my next ?????
Do I need set of RCA cables to run from the 2 PREOUT JACKS on the RECEIVER to the PREAMP , then another set of RCA cables from the PREAMP to the connector, then run the wires to the passive speaker. Thank you once again

That will not work.
It's not a matter of matching the connectors. The pre out is line level and will work with a powered subwoofer with built in crossover and RCA inputs but not with a passive subwoofer which would require a crossover and power amp. If you had a sub out you would just need an amplifier since the sub out has a crossover built in.
You could connect the passive sub to front speaker B terminals which would use the amp in the receiver but you would have no way to a adjust the volume to match the other speakers and it could damage the receiver.

Feb 23, 2020
That will not work.
It's not a matter of matching the connectors. The pre out is line level and will work with a powered subwoofer with built in crossover and RCA inputs but not with a passive subwoofer which would require a crossover and power amp. If you had a sub out you would just need an amplifier since the sub out has a crossover built in.
You could connect the passive sub to front speaker B terminals which would use the amp in the receiver but you would have no way to a adjust the volume to match the other speakers and it could damage the receiver.
So my small preamp which I have sleeping in a box cannot be used from the preout , to preamp, to connector you suggested, then to wired speakers. Guess I have to invest into a powered subwoofer . with the connectors.

The Project phono box is used with a turntable to play vinyl on a receiver that does not have a phone input. It's useless here.
The amplifier linked to above would work but you would also need to buy a power supply for it which would add to the price.
If you can afford it buy a self powered woofer. It will sound a lot better.

Feb 23, 2020
The Project phono box is used with a turntable to play vinyl on a receiver that does not have a phone input. It's useless here.
The amplifier linked to above would work but you would also need to buy a power supply for it which would add to the price.
If you can afford it buy a self powered woofer. It will sound a lot better.
Thank you for all your trouble. I will asked Santa for a Good Woofer. Have a great day and thanks again

Last edited by a moderator: