How to connect to free wifi with Android phone

JohnDavidW

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
My android phone says it is connected to a free wifi but internet connection doesn`t work with error detected.

Most "free" wi-fi offers come with a price and it won't open your Homepage until you've agreed to their conditions - mainly agreeing to large chunks of adverts being thrown at you.

Your phone is doing you a favour because free is not often - well, free. Also, if you're on that network, so are other folks who might be dipping into your personal data. Download Lookout from the Play Store - it's a good anti-virus product and it really is free.

JohnDavidW

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016

JohnDavidW

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
Thank you for taking the trouble to respond to my question. I don`t mind agreeing to the free WiFi conditions but I am not being given the option. All I`m told is that an "error" has occurred. I understand from a phone salesman that this may be a problem with Android. Could this be true? Do iPhone users have this problem?

If you're getting the notification there's nothing more to do in Settings to go straight online. I don't understand what's going on in your system but there are usually several WiFi finders in the Play Store and they might come with the ability to jump aboard any networks the software finds. I can't recommend one to you but it's worth a shot.

Are you sure you don't have some form of firewall installed?

Android is well-known for not making it easy to connect probably because the servie providers want your data usage money.

JohnDavidW

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016

JohnDavidW

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
As you said previously, there is no really free WiFi. By using my laptop in the store I found myself on the store`s website which required my details to provide me with a code which was then texted to my phone. So far I`ve got the code but not yet finally achieved connection to the "free" WiFi on the phone. However, a big step closer!! I May be able to try again tomorrow. Watch this space.

JohnDavidW

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
The problem appeared to be that the browser on my phone was disabled. Since enabling Chrome I have been able to contact the store where I have to get a new code each time I want to use their "free" WiFi.. Thanks for your help. Case closed. JohnDavidW