how to deal with a stripped screw!

cobra11

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
how do you deal with a stripped screw in a laptop?, ive used superglue, and then superglue with jb weld still no go, I was thinking maybe a rotary tool? what do yall think or recommend, and if I need the rotary tool then what kind?

Solution
hey all I found a solution lmao idk why I didn't think about it, I just unscrewed the 2 that hold the drive (yes not ideal but I had some clearance to actually do it) and now have it all apart, I still have the troublesome screw in the bottom casing but its not a big deal perse, the hard drive caddy screw is also stripped but its alright as its hanging onto the board.. and since all the chips are on the bottom its easy to get to and clean them thanks everyone!

cobra11

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007

its on a dell xps l702x I bought off ebay, sadly it was like this already, its holding the blueray drive

20150903_125816_resized.jpg

20150903_125805_resized.jpg

if I need to use a rotary saw its alright cause the board and all is coming out, I plan on cleaning it all as my temps are pretty high for the cpu, and I know the vents are pretty dirty..

cobra11

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007

the screw head is stripped, and if I get it out its not going back in that's for sure.. its not even connected to the board just the back casing, but sadly to tear it apart the drive has to come out witch means this screw will have to go one way or another

Putting the cut in the screw as suggested earlier is the best option for this.

Otherwise you will have to very carefully drill it out, and keep the bit lightly coated in drill oil; unfortunately they don't make any screw out bits for screws that small. If you have to drill it out you will need to get a bit smaller then the screw, the idea is to drill out most of the solid portion of the screw and the you can cave in the threads portion and take it out.

If only people would learn that you need to use the right sized bit for the job, and that you cant use a power drill/screwdriver for delicate work.

cobra11

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
hey all I found a solution lmao idk why I didn't think about it, I just unscrewed the 2 that hold the drive (yes not ideal but I had some clearance to actually do it) and now have it all apart, I still have the troublesome screw in the bottom casing but its not a big deal perse, the hard drive caddy screw is also stripped but its alright as its hanging onto the board.. and since all the chips are on the bottom its easy to get to and clean them thanks everyone!

Solution