How to drag and drop photos into silhouettes in Photoshop CC

brendenglaude

Prominent
Sep 22, 2017
I have one file with about 20 different architectural photo pieces in it (columns, etc) & another file with 4 different silhouettes (painted black designs).

I want to drag and drop the photos into each of the silhouettes, (essentially 'kitbash' new architectural designs) while containing the photos within the silhouettes and not obscuring their outlines.

If possible, I'd also like to be able to drag and drop the same photo rapidly, without removing it from the original file (i.e. having it re-materialize or self copy after each drag & drop).

Solution
Are each of the "pieces" in separate layers or one layer? Not sure this is what you are shooting for but if the "pieces" are in different layers you could try grouping them into one folder (of layers) and exporting that to the other picture.
Are each of the "pieces" in separate layers or one layer? Not sure this is what you are shooting for but if the "pieces" are in different layers you could try grouping them into one folder (of layers) and exporting that to the other picture.

Solution

brendenglaude

Prominent
Sep 22, 2017

They are on separate layers.

This grouping idea, along with setting the group Blending option to Lighten and duplicating that group allowed me to drag and drop multiple copies into the confines of my silhouettes (using a white background). Thank you.