How to Fix a Broken Laptop Hinge?

WendigoKing

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
The left side hinge on my laptop is broken. I currently have to use my laptop with it open all the way so that it's completely flat. If I try moving the screen into an upright position or try to close it, the hinge is pulled out of place, exposing what looks like some wiring, as well as where the hinge used to be grounded (it came unattached from the base of the laptop, not the screen). There doesn't seem to be a problem with screws or anything- I'm pretty sure something that kept it in place actually broke. There's a local computer store that I think I could take it to, but I'd prefer to fix it myself if I can, or at least figure out if it's something that I could get fixed at a store. Otherwise there's superglue, but since superglue and I haven't mixed well in the past I thought I'd ask for thoughts or solutions here first :D Anything you've got would be great!

Edit: I took it to a repair place and ended up just getting a new laptop. Thanks for the suggestions though!

Solution
Google for videos on whatever make/model laptop you have and the keywords "disassembly hinge".
Should show you something. My experience is it's a pain in the butt, but possible.
Krazy glue should never be underestimated

dudio

Admirable
Google for videos on whatever make/model laptop you have and the keywords "disassembly hinge".
Should show you something. My experience is it's a pain in the butt, but possible.
Krazy glue should never be underestimated

Solution
Mar 14, 2018

DO NOT USE Krazy Glue on it, as it will not work. I tried that myself and it broke a couple of hours later. Best is, like someone said previously, get a (for parts only) laptop and take parts you need from it and use them on yours.

Jan 16, 2019
You could have fixed it yourself with hot melt glue , using matchsticks to keep the receptors for the screws clean, a lot of laptops when strained will pull out the screws and receptors together, it's only a matter of stripping down the laptop and using hot melt to create a place for the receptors to stick back to there original place and matchsticks inserted to keep the holes clear for the screws, it's not easy but I have done many of these and it does save the expense of a new laptop ,