How-To: Fix (And Prevent) Laptop Overheating

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Way too much thermal paste on the die in their photo. They should have used the credit card and smoothed it out. They got enough on there to do two dies. They say you want as thin a layer as possible then show it with peaks and valleys. I bet if they screwed that heat sink on, then took it, it was squirted out all over sides of it and the die.

servarus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]I never meant to imply that Tom's Guide visitors are stupid - doing so would mean that I call myself stupid (as I'm a Tom's Guide visitor myself), as well as the makers of the many great articles on this site, and many of the visitors that leave some pretty useful/funny comments most of the time.However, I'm just pointing out that someone who allows his pet to play with his laptop usually isn't the kind of person that cares about technology much...[/citation]
I let my cat play on top of my laptop and sometime sleep on top/near it... More like he's the one who would always come... Even so, I enjoy seeing his actions. I love him and my laptop the same. I do care about techs.

There are people like that (what you have described) and people like me. And this guide was made to those who cares. I think if they don't care about technology they wouldn't come to this site.

dch0ar_52

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
I found that just sucking the dust out by applying a vacuum nozzle to each of the air inlets was enough to reduce the CPU and GPU temperatures in a two year old laptop by about 20C. This method avoids dismantling the computer which might still be under warranty. I used Speedfan to measure the before and after temperatures.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I've encountered huge heat issue where HP used large thermal pad on the chipset or GPU in a laptop. I had to use a copper pad with Arctic Silver 5 compound instead, which lowered the temperature a lot.

chetancrasta

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2007
One should be very careful when blowing off dust with compressed air. A lot of the dust ends up in the optical drive's lens system.
One way of reducing this is by keeping the DVD drive's tray fully extended and perhaps covered while cleaning the heat sink, motherboard etc.

vasim23

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
You might look my article
<a href=http://www.vasimtamboli.com/2013/09/how-to-deal-with-laptop-over-heating.html">http://www.vasimtamboli.com/2013/09/how-to-deal-with-laptop-over-heating.html</a>

Status
Not open for further replies.