how to fix my old laptop

atm34900

Prominent
Sep 1, 2017
Recently i found a laptop that I had years ago so I wanted to power it on but it said that it had now operating system so I tried installing Windows XP but it showed me an error that the windows couldn't find the hard drive , I think that it's broken but I had another hard drive laying around so I tried to change it but the end of them it's the same , the new hard drive that i want to replace is like the one in PS3 but the old on has only like pens , it was IDE hard drive not SATA , so what to do ? should i find another operating system that works or is there another place to store my hard drive ..

My laptop is a IBM Thinkpad Type 2723 or T1636 or X31

Sounds like the IDE laptop is dead (or potentially the controller). You cannot replace an IDE hard drive in a laptop with a SATA hard drive.

If you want to revive this laptop, you'd need to find an IDE drive to test with (to rule out the drive or the controller).

atm34900

Prominent
Sep 1, 2017
I heard that Windows XP doesn't work on IDE drives you know when you install them , can I do it with a modded WXP or get another operating system that works ?