how to flash bios on acer aspire 5542

top2btm

Estimable
May 6, 2014
Acer Aspire 5542 boots to a black screen. How can I flash the bios to see if it will restore my display?

Solution
You will have to remove the HDD for flashing the BIOS, because you can't see the BIOS and your HDD is the first to boot, without the HDD hopefully your USB will boot the program.

mickypheonix

Estimable
Mar 9, 2014
Hi top2btm
generally in the download the is a Setup App file in the folder. run this app and then follow the steps and on reboot it will allow you to go into the BIOS and check the update from there

top2btm

Estimable
May 6, 2014

Unfortunately there's no display so I need a solution that will boot from CD or USB. Tried some suggestions found on you tube for other Aspire models but can't get my 5542 to load the BIOS from USB.

Downloaded BIOS update from Acer site. Laptop battery is dead so it's been running on power supply. BIOS update from Acer says if <30% battery it won't run BIOS update. Not sure if that's the problem or if the naming of the files is wrong, tried changing extension to .fd etc but no luck.

Really just want to get the data off the hard drive but hate to trash a $500. laptop if all it needs is a BIOS flash.

Hi, when you said it boots, do you have all the lights and sound, you can try an external monitor, check your RAM also, take out the battery and unplug the adapter, take out the RAM and put it back. I don't think that flashing the BIOS will give you the picture, unless you have change something in the BIOS before.

top2btm

Estimable
May 6, 2014

I found the BIOS solution when searching Google for the Acer Black screen issue. The laptop has been hooked to an external monitor for the past 4 months. Shut it down Sunday night and it booted to a blank screen Monday morning. Removed the external to see if the internal screen would light up but nothing. It sounds like everything is running but there's no display so no way to know if there's error or OS is loading or anything for that matter. Just the hum of the hard drive and a black screen.

top2btm

Estimable
May 6, 2014
No, can't see a thing - black screen. I would need to load BIOS from USB to reset all settings to factory default. Then that would hopefully activate my display again.

piba69

Estimable
Oct 23, 2015

Hi top2btm !

I have the same problem on my Acer Aspire 5542. Do you find any solutions ?
Thank you in advance.

Julien

top2btm

Estimable
May 6, 2014

buhleevit

Prominent
Jan 17, 2018
Before taking a technical approach to this, try this simpler solution: There is a function key (F5 on the Acer laptop in front of me) that is used to select the display. Press it once, and it displays on external monitor, press it again and it displays on the laptop, press it again and it displays on both simultaneously, press it again and it begins the sequence again. My first guess is that your system is attempting to display to an external monitor or projector that is no longer attached.