How to get audio from my sub to pc

Oli_The_Anarchist

Estimable
Sep 30, 2015
Hi there!

So I have an acoustics solutions ds1033 and I was wanting to 5.1 surround sound to my pc, atm I just have the surround sound speakers hooked up to the main and then the sub hooked up use red and white to 3.5 then hooked up to my pc, is there a better way I can do this to get better quality audio and 5.1 surround sound? My motherboard is an asus z87-k.

dudio

Admirable
You're limited by the motherboard's audio capability. The best you can do is using the Green Audio Out from motherboard and converting it to red/white RCA connections on the Sub/Amplifier (as it sounds you have done). If you have the remote for the audio system, you should be able to make the most of it by selecting Dolby ProLogic or other digital effects. All the speakers should work.

dudio

Admirable
That's somewhat true Rogue. For sure the Optical would have been best, but as I saw too, his motherboard doesn't have that.
Using just the red/white RCA stereo signal will give you 5.1 tho... Dolby Surround and Dolby Pro Logic can decode 5.1 from just a stereo signal, and the DSP (Digital Effects) would also output to 5.1

Rogue Leader

Distinguished

No, 2 channel RCA cannot not output a 5.1 Dolby Digital signal. Surround and Pro Logic is simulated but not true 5.1 sound, and does not decode a 5.1 signal. There is a significant difference in both quality and sound separation.

The speaker setup he has can do it, he just needs to use an optical connection, which in his case requires a sound card.

dudio

Admirable
We still agree to disagree then ! :)
I never said 5.1 Dolby DIGITAL in my response, and I'm well aware of the differences in discreet signals.
I do agree a soundcard is a relatively cheap solution.

"In 2000, Dolby released Pro Logic II, which creates 5.1-channels from 2-channel stereo signals. Though not nearly as good as a true discrete soundtrack like you'd get from Dolby Digital or DTS, PLII is still very popular to get all the channels going in a surround sound system with music or stereo movie."

Rogue Leader

Distinguished

Thanks for the lesson I've been doing this for around 30 years I know what Pro Logic is. The guy came here asking how to get 5.1 out of a Dolby Digital 5.1 system. In fact the system is very rudimentary and may not even decode a signal into Pro Logic and instead only does stereo and Dolby Digital. I can't find enough info on it to tell otherwise, but I know for sure not all DD processors also decode Pro Logic as Dolby requires a separate license for it (every unit sold gets a license payment for every Dolby format it supports).

He also already has it hooked up the way you say and he doesn't like the sound quality. Hence a sound card with an optical or coax digital out is the only way.