How to get TV audio out to Receiver

Rysdan

Estimable
Dec 8, 2014
Apologies if this answered elsewhere, I couldn't find my exact issue.

I recently hooked up surround sound via an A/V Receiver. Everything works fine with one exception; I have a 4k "smart" LG TV, and can't figure out how to get the sound from what I stream through the tv to go through the receiver and into my surround sound (cable works fine). For example, when I stream Amazon, Hulu, Pandora, Youtube, etc, I can only get the sound from the TV's speakers, but not my surround. The TV does have an ARC HDMI port, which I've tried setting to one of the receivers HDMI inputs and even the receiver's 'out', but nothing I've tried seems to work.

It's currently set up with the cable box, and blu-ray running through the receiver and an HDMI from the out to the HDMI 1 on the TV. I tried the ARC (HDMI 2) going into HDMI 3 on the reciever, but no sound. I tried running the cable box directly to the TV and the TV through the receiver, but can't get sound that way either.

Should I run a separate optical out from the tv? ARC should work though.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Solution
ARC will only work is you have an ARC enabled receiver. Optical will work, I have the same problem, old receiver no ARC. There are ARC to hdmi devices to trick the TV into thinking it's working with something that has ARC, and this then gives you audio out, HDMI I think.

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
ARC will only work is you have an ARC enabled receiver. Optical will work, I have the same problem, old receiver no ARC. There are ARC to hdmi devices to trick the TV into thinking it's working with something that has ARC, and this then gives you audio out, HDMI I think.

Solution

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006

Was writing whilst yours came in, so not strictly responding to you.

Rysdan

Estimable
Dec 8, 2014

Yep, it's a high speed HDMI.

Rysdan

Estimable
Dec 8, 2014

ah, this seems to be the issue. I'm using a Sony STRDN1000 and it does not appear to be ARC compatible. Looks like I'll need to use an optical cable.

Seems a bit confusing to me. I mean I can hook up a blu-ray player to the receiver via an HDMI cable, and the audio comes through, but not a tv? Oh well. Not really a big deal.

Thank you for your reply.

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006

Think in terms of sinks and sources, a TV is traditionally a sink and therefore connected to an output, and a BR player is always a source and hence connected to an input.

Modern TV's with sources built-in require a fudge where they can be both a sink and a source at the same time. Similar happened with scart when the TV's where being used as receiver for over the air transmissions, they had to find a way to push those out to recording devices.

Rysdan

Estimable
Dec 8, 2014

gotcha

thanks again