How to improve performance on my Laptop for gaming?

Matt Stam

Estimable
Feb 15, 2014
I am trying to improve my performance on a game called Elder Scrolls Online. So in typical PvE situations I can run the game pretty good at medium settings without very many problems. However, I’m a big PvPer and I notice there is where my computer struggles the most with. Even on minimum settings, I get huge lag spikes and very low fps, especially in big battles (100+ people). I am going to include all important pc information and I was hoping someone can help me with this.

PC: Gateway NV55S05u (Or something very close to that) Laptop.

Display Adapter: AMD Radeon HD 6520G

Processor: AMD A6-3400M APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.40GHz (It says this 4 times in device manager, so does that mean quad core?)

RAM: 4.00 GB (3.48 Usable)

64-bit operating system.

If any more info is needed, please ask. I notice while I’m playing, I check task manager and the memory is running at 90-100% even with just ESO running. For this reason, I suspected getting more RAM (though I don’t know a thing about PCs). I asked my friend about it, and he says the problem is that my graphics card does not have it’s own memory. So what really is the problem? An if it is the graphics card, is it possible to get graphics card with it’s own memory in a laptop? Which ones would you recommend?

Solution
unfortunatery you have an apu which isnt good for gaming.you also cannot upgrade to a better gpu. online gaming is also very cpu-memory taxing and you run ot of memmory with only 3.48 avaliable .http://laptops-and-notebooks.findthebest.com/l/138/NV55S05u well if you are close to that i suppose you can upgrade to 8gb of ram to deal with the huge lag spikes(make sure you get an even 4gb dimm). also make sure you always play plugged up and with all profiles set to performance. from ccc texture filtering quality must be set on performance and not quality.finally you must kill all other background aplications in order to have as much avaliable memory(from the 3.48gb) committed to the game you are playing!

chris987

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
unfortunatery you have an apu which isnt good for gaming.you also cannot upgrade to a better gpu. online gaming is also very cpu-memory taxing and you run ot of memmory with only 3.48 avaliable .http://laptops-and-notebooks.findthebest.com/l/138/NV55S05u well if you are close to that i suppose you can upgrade to 8gb of ram to deal with the huge lag spikes(make sure you get an even 4gb dimm). also make sure you always play plugged up and with all profiles set to performance. from ccc texture filtering quality must be set on performance and not quality.finally you must kill all other background aplications in order to have as much avaliable memory(from the 3.48gb) committed to the game you are playing!

Solution

Matt Stam

Estimable
Feb 15, 2014
Well.. shit :/

If I upgrade to 8GB will it make a big difference?

Also, I know this seems odd but I techniquely don't have that computer. The one I have is VERY similar except it's black and as I listed some of the specs are different (4GB instead of 6) but I cant seem to find it anywhere!

EDIT: Nevermind, it seems it is the NV55S04U. I highly doubt it would have many different properties then the 05 one but it is worth a shot so can you see if that one can have a GPU? http://bestlaptopforsale.blogspot.com/2011/11/gateway-nv55s04u-15.html

BreezyTonighttt

Estimable
May 4, 2015