How to install pre-Installed windows 8 key on new hard drive. Rebuilding a laptop and the mother board has a key. Not the HDD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesbones626

Estimable
Dec 12, 2014
I have a used computer with windows 8. Now as i do know the pre-installed windows 8 key is on the motherboard. Its connected with the hardware ID. I do not have the original hard drive, so i do not have the original recover partition or any of that. It will have a brand new hard drive. Now my question is is there anyway to have the preinstalled key automatically installed onto the new HDD. As i know you cannot use the pre-installed key to activate windows. I was going top see if i could download a recovery and boot it on the computer and see if that can automatically download the key for me. But I'm not sure if it will. I have a spare hard drive i was going to try it on to see if it works. If i does i will keep the drive. If it doesn't and nothing will work, I'm going to buy a hard drive with a preinstalled windows 8 on it to save some money.. Thanks! i can give any more info if needed

The computer I'm doing it on is an asus x55a, 4gb ram and i believe its an intel pentium. Im trying to spend as little as possible for it.and it came with windows 8.

jamesbones626

Estimable
Dec 12, 2014

SO PRETTY SURE I HAVE THE ANSWER. But i still need to test it. I contacted asus, they do not offer recovery media for windows 8 at all. Since its imbedded in windows 8. So he told that as long as i install a clean version of windows 8 (from a disk or iso) the product key should automatically instal during the windows 8 install from the motherboard. He said the only way it wouldn't work is if i replaced the mother board because i even asked what if i got a new hard drive. He said that is fine. As long as the mother board is still the same. So i got the windows 8 and 8.1 iso from the dreamspark just so i have a clean installation (because ones from random websites are sketchy) and I'm using that to install and i will see if it works i will update this once i figure it out. But he said you shouldn't need a recovery portion.

USAFRet

Illustrious

To me, that does not sound right. If I'm not mistaken, the OEM manufacturer is obligated to provide you some means of a reinstall. Generally a partition on the original HDD, and in there there should be a function to create your own DVD install media. If the drive dies, what is a user supposed to do?

But if that's what they said....

jamesbones626

Estimable
Dec 12, 2014

Oh yeah you can do that too. i mean they told me they can give me a tool to make a recovery media. But the problem with that is, i may or may not have a valid serial number already so its just going to save that key and re use it and thats not the one i want. And if there were a virus or anything on your computer that recovery media might keep that in the restore file. Usually you would want to make that as soon as you get a new windows for future reference

jamesbones626

Estimable
Dec 12, 2014

So I've got an issue. when i try to instal windows8. It asks me for a product key. Now how am i supposed to get past this step if it makes me enter one... Its supposed to activate it automatically but thats only farther in the process. Ive tried entering a couple generic keys but nothing works.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Exactly. The Asus guy was wrong, as suspected.

jamesbones626

Estimable
Dec 12, 2014

Well actually i have two asus computers I'm working on. Im waiting on ram for one. But the other is for my gf for christmas and id rather not have to put a non genuine version. But i contacted them again, and i guess you could say i just didn't get all the info. You HAVE to have an OEM VERISON of windows download to use the preinstalled key. You cannot use a retail version. So my version from dreamspark is not oem its retail so it won't work. I don't know if its possible to find an oem install. but I've been researching and i found that using the dreamspark download won't work because theres more than one install on there. I read that if you use a retail activation most likely from the media creation tool from microsoft. and use that to download, then it will find your windows oem key. There were 2 people on that thread that said it worked for them so now I'm trying.

USAFRet

Illustrious
Right. An OEM license will not work with a non-OEM install.

There are various tools to discover a Windows 7 or before license, OEM or otherwise.
Belarc Advisor.

That also works on non-OEM Windows 8.

A PC with preinstalled Windows 8...the license key exists in the motherboard. You must use an OEM install. Almost certainly from the original manufacturer.
That's why they give you the option of creating a DVD set when you first turn it on. If the hard drive dies, use that. Or buy a new DVD set from them.

With a used PC? Who knows...You have no idea what the previous owner has in there, or the owner before him.

jamesbones626

Estimable
Dec 12, 2014

Yeah the recovery was gone off of it and asus does not have a recovery that you can get or buy. They just have a tool for you to makes one. So pretty much if your computer dies and you didn't make one your screwed. So from my point, I'm never buying from asus again. They were no help. Thats why i like my mac better. I do like pcs but Apple support is so much more helpful. Ive had so many problem with my computer and they didn't even charge me to walk me through fixing it. and all of their operation systems are free! except mavericks that was like 30 dollars which isn't a big deal. You never have problems with this shit. Microsoft is just there to make more and more money. They can't even give you an oem install or a new serial key. You can literally have every little big of info you could possibly need except your product key and they can't give you a new one. I feel like having a product id and other info is proof that you have windows 8 already. just because someone makes a mistake, they have to spend a butt load of money on a new operatng system. I might as well just sell this computer for 70 dollars less and then buy a new better one thats not all ****** up. for 70 dollars more instead of paying 70 for a operation system. thats like a 3rd of the price of a new laptop

jamesbones626

Estimable
Dec 12, 2014

Well to be honest i messed it all up. I didn't make a restore file before doing a format. the restore file would save the product key when doing a restore. But anyway! I may have a solution. Its pretty long and its weird and complex. But it may work! i am testing it right now and so far its working (knock on wood). it involves taking a windows 8 (or 8.1) instal iso and making a file thats a cfg and you put text in it to make it think its a retail or oem install. and it makes it so theres a skip button for a product key. now my threory is that if it thinks its an oem key then it will find the product key. If that doesn't work. I plan on installing it with no product key. Then after that i can use a program like magic jellybean or rweverything to find the original oem key. Because if you install it with a generic id those programs only find that generic one. If there is no key installed on windows 8 then it will find you original key (hopefully) Then you can use the command prompt to bring up a screen that asks you for your oem key (not your retail key) and activates your computer. Now some of this is theory. Some of it is proven to work. The concept of it is really mine but the process inside of it actually work. Now if it does work, i will put up my process for other people. If it doesn't well. This is the last thing i will be able to try.

teslaedisonwar1880

Estimable
Dec 15, 2014
With pre-installed systems, because windows decided to put the key incrypted into the BIOS. You should'nt need anything but to create a usb from the windows website http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media
The installation process should see the key in the Bios and load it automatically. But there is a problem, if your computer came with WINDOWS 8 and not 8.1 then you need a work around, because the key codes for 8 and 8.1 are different. So you need the create installation media for windows 8 and then you upgrade to 8.1. With preinstalled computers from factory you should never need to buy anything. http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkID=317630 thats is the download of windows 8. But I guess you cant use that one for OEM or a preinstalled system. From what i gather is that if you creat a recovery key from the online microsoft wiki they have fixed the issue of not being able to install 8.1 onto a 8 OEM computer. Or you could create a USB recovery drive from another 8.1 or 8 OEM preinstalled computer and use it on the computer with the new drive. Here is the web site that says that this can be done. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows8_1-system/advanced-repair-tools-create-a-usb-recovery-drive/1a3ad051-1796-4238-89d8-8705e9128e24

jamesbones626

Estimable
Dec 12, 2014

I appreciate the answer but i have literally tired everything. I have even gone into the install files and made a file that is supposed to make the instal find the OEM key. I installed windows 8 over 10 times and i even tried 8.1. every single time it never found the preinstalled key. it always asked me for a key when installing. Ive done so much research i can't even explain. I have not found a single option. I contacted both asus and microsoft. They said that in order to use the oem key, you have to have a oem instal of windows. Which is impossible to find, asus nor microsoft gives it out. because if you use a retail download its looking for a retail key not a oem key.

jamesbones626

Estimable
Dec 12, 2014

part of that says if you have preinstalled windows during the process there will be an option to click for copying the recovery drive. The problem with that, is i dont have a recovery for either of the computers. So it will just be copying windows 8 and i really dont think it will keep my system key.

molokow

Estimable
Apr 12, 2015

molokow

Estimable
Apr 12, 2015
Mate. Look at what version windows you have. Use software to get the key out of the bios. Then download the iso (retail is fine). Add the key -- now here is the thing.. It will always say 'Go to PC settings to activate windows'. Just ignore it... It is a trick. You never need to activate it.... Pay attention!! you may get messages reminding you, etc. But seriously, for what it is worth. Just leave it. It makes no difference.

It is trick from Microsoft and the laptop manufacturer as they know how difficult it is to do this process, and they want you to buy another key!

Here is the link to get the iso:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

You may need to set up your bios on your laptop to boot off the usb.

rohmish

Estimable
May 5, 2015
Go to this link, download the iso (any windows 8 or 8.1 iso will do.(Note: If it came with windows 8.1 then you can't use windows 8 iso. It will ask for a key. skip it. Install it and go to store, update to windows 8.1 and then click on activate windows in settings. It will activate it))
Preferably, don't write straight to the USB (use the download iso option), it will write in MBR style. Take a USB drive and format it in GUID. And then extract the iso on the drive. You don't need any extraction tool.
It will detect the key and install windows. You can use any SSD or HDD
Download the mediacreationtool.exe app.

Remember to enable UEFI mode on your laptop. IF it doesn't work find if there is an option for UEFI ONLY. Also if you have written in MBR style USB boot drive, It wont allow you to select you HDD. In that cse, convert your boot drive to GUID and try again. The same is true in reverse case.

The detection is very robust and if it doesn't work repeat the step 2-3 times. If it doesn't work still it must be that the device came with windows 7 not 8 or it was not an OEM install. In this case, you cant recover the key. You can use windows 10 Technical Preview or try Linux distros.

Your milage may vary, but from what i have seen it works best when you have GUID drive and UEFI ONLY mode enabled. Remember to create UEFI compatible boot drive. Try this tool if it fails. If it returns OEM key, Your device has OEM key preinstalled and you can use that.

shane757575

Estimable
Sep 10, 2015

okay so check this out, i had microsoft and ASUS on live chat at same time as one told me to talk to the other, i told them i would have probably be able to resolve this whole problem by purchasing Linux and cabaaaammm they send me the fix program that ASUS had told me they didn't have.... Note that is one of the first things ASUS said was that they had no recovery media

Chat transcript

Full Name: Kevin
E-mail:
Phone:
Existing Case# or RMA#:
Serial Number or Model Name: Asus v550ca
Product Type: Notebook
Reason for your chat: windows 8
Chat Server Server 2

Tamara M. Thu, 09/10/15 06:26:41 am America/Indianapolis

Hello Kevin , thank you for contacting ASUS support. Please give me a few moments to review your information. I will be with you shortly.

Kevin 06:27:20 am

I have having problems with reinstalling windows 8 to this system

Tamara M. 06:28:02 am

Hi Ken how are you dojng today?

Kevin 06:28:24 am

i have the product key and the oem key, i am online live chat with Microsoft right now and they are telling me you have the installation disk
i'm good

Tamara M. 06:29:51 am

I do apologize, Kevin, we do not have recovery Media for Windows 8.

Kevin 06:30:12 am

OEM is XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-AAOEM
so this computer is useless unless i buy a new version of windows again?

Tamara M. 06:31:26 am

You may also send the unit in for servicing.

Kevin 06:31:44 am

and cost how much?

Tamara M. 06:31:51 am

May I have the following information about your product please? Serial Number: Operating System: Country:

Kevin 06:32:43 am

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Windows 8
United States

Tamara M. 06:33:24 am

Thank you for that information.
When was the unit purchased?

Kevin 06:34:01 am

I'm not sure
most likely the warranty has ended i'm sure
6/4/2013 maybe

Tamara M. 06:34:54 am

Yes, I do see that the unit is ot of warranty.

Kevin 06:35:17 am

so cost is as much as purchasing a new version of Windows

Tamara M. 06:36:32 am

The estimate service cost for this problem is $195.00 (USD). Shipping and labour is included in this cost. Please note that the actual service cost could be higher than calculated. This estimate is an average only. The unit can be sent into ASUS and the problem assessed by our technicians. The examination is at absolutely no cost to you. After our technicians’ assessment, you will be contacted by an ASUS representative regarding the actual cost of the servicing.
Please be advised this is just a flat rate.

Kevin 06:37:21 am

LOL funny, I can get Windows 10 from microsoft cheaper then that, amazing how this works

Tamara M. 06:37:30 am

Kevin, I do apologize our systems are currently undergoing upgrades to serve you better. I am unable to provide you with a case number or a RMA number.
I do apologize for the inconvenience caused.
Did you have any other questions for me today?

Kevin 06:38:10 am

should i purchase Linux from now on?

Tamara M. 06:38:33 am

I am sorry you feel that way, Kevin.
I am a Windows fan.

Kevin 06:39:45 am

after updating to 8.1 and can't go back to 8 cause of virus and have to repurchase version of windows to fix or spend 200 for Asus to fix, i'm not so much a fan anymore of Windows

Tamara M. 06:39:58 am

There is a software that can help with this issue.

Kevin 06:40:51 am

would have got it with Linux to begin with to have to purchase yet another software, thanks for your help but I should have just listened to my friend about linux in the first place, have a great day

Tamara M. 06:41:00 am
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps/ASUSRecovery_V...
Here's the link: Please copy and paste the link above to download driver. If you are using Google Chrome browser, the file will be downloaded automatically. If you're using Internet Explorer, you will be prompted to “Open" or "Save" the file, you may save the file to your desktop.
Step 1: Open the file downloaded and look for the “Setup” file, the file type should be an “Application”. Step 2: Double click on the “Setup” file to run the application. Step 3: Once installation has been completed, restart the system.
This is assist in recovery of the recovery partition, so that you are able to Reset the unit.
Update this

m
l
Ask the community Post an answer
Your answer

okay so check this out, i had microsoft and ASUS on live chat at same time as one told me to talk to the other, i told them i would have probably be able to resolve this whole problem by purchasing Linux and cabaaaammm they send me the fix program that ASUS had told me they didn't have....NOTE : that is one of the first things they told me.... Make sure you write down your OEM Key and the Actual Key by using Belarc Advisor

Status
Not open for further replies.