How to know if its worth fixing?

Solution

Trash it.

Especially because if water go to the LCD screen then there could be water stains on it which can generally be very annoying to look at. Replacement LCD screens for laptops can generally range between $50 to $300 depending on the quality of the screen that is made specifically for that particular laptop mode. Though I would assume a replacement touchscreen for that laptop is probably around $100.

You can't tell if there is water damage until you are able to turn on the screen.

Salvis

Estimable
Feb 6, 2016

I have no idea what age is the laptop . laptop's model is: j078ca . Problem: screen black, probably because of the graphics card.

I'm no expert, but it sounds to me like you've most likely diagnosed the issue (GPU) correctly. Any idea if the GPU is soldered to the motherboard?

Can you tell if it is booting up properly, aside from the black screen issue?

Salvis

Estimable
Feb 6, 2016

Yes, graphics card is soldered to the motherboard. So that means that i'll have to buy new motherboard and graphics card?

its not booting up, just a black screen. but if you mean that the laptop is working, i think yes, because the lights work

If the laptop is HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j078ca, then it's probably worth replacing the motherboard. It is worth probably $400 used, a motherboard is $110 it looks like for that model. Or just sell the system as is (maybe $250 for parts) and get a newer laptop for $750-800.

Salvis

Estimable
Feb 6, 2016

but when i change the motherboard, then i need to change a graphics card too, there you go 100-200 more bucks

Salvis

Estimable
Feb 6, 2016

and i found out that there is rust, and a few wires are missing, fan is missing...

Salvis

Estimable
Feb 6, 2016

and i already tried selling it for 200 no one needed it. and. some guy told me that if i want to fix it i need to buy a new CPU too because its only for that thing. is that true? because i dont believe it

Would cost what the laptop is worth to repair it, sounds like there was water damage and someone started to try to fix it.

Trash it.

Especially because if water go to the LCD screen then there could be water stains on it which can generally be very annoying to look at. Replacement LCD screens for laptops can generally range between $50 to $300 depending on the quality of the screen that is made specifically for that particular laptop mode. Though I would assume a replacement touchscreen for that laptop is probably around $100.

You can't tell if there is water damage until you are able to turn on the screen.

Solution

Salvis

Estimable
Feb 6, 2016

Already did :D
Thanks Anyways :D