How To: Make Windows 8 Feel Like Windows 7

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

super d spamalot

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
[citation][nom]davec80[/nom]In reply to:"Linux is about as mainstream user friendly as a nuclear reactor."I don't know where you've been in say, the last decade or so...But many modern linux distributions are MORE user-friendly than Windows ever could be.[/citation]

I will be the first to admit that I haven't used Linux at all since I had to occationally roughly 5-6 years ago. If it's gotten easier to install that's fantastic. I'm glad to hear it. So it's got a completely 100% windows compatible software library now? Can you install 100% of that software without using the command line at all? Do drivers for every current device exist? Are they easy to install if they do? Can you update the kernel without a) knowing what the kernel even is and/or b) 5 pages of command line instructions?

If you can answer yes to those five simple questions, then I consider myself corrected. If you can't, then it's not mainstream user friendly.

That does give me an interesting experiment to try though. I was going to update my laptop from Windows 8 CP to Windows 8 RP this weekend. I'm going to ask my wife (Who is computer illiterate, but can use Windows 8 just fine. She's the primary user of said laptop when I'm not tinkering with it) to install Ubuntu on it for me and see how she does. If I remember I'll come back and report.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
@davec80

While linux has gotten easier to use over the years, it is still too complex for the average user.

Where windows excels is allowing almost everything including advanced things without ever having to touch a command line.

With links, you have access to an underwhelming market place but if what you want is not there, then prepare to end up with .tar.gz and .rpm and various other files and have to do command line which is annoying because the commands to install the various applications via command line are not always the same, for example there are certain networking tools that are only available in tar.gz and the install instructions only work if you are using the same version of ubuntu, so if you have no idea how to effectively work with command line then most installation instructions will be useless, especially if the program you want requires certain dependencies.

linux just doesn't have a simple to use experience such as windows and it's .exe files, and everything being GUI based, and in the rare cases where you get a file with no GUI (command line) batch files are so simple to make that those tools will almost always come with a pre made batch file for various functions and if not, you will usually find a forum post with a batch file.

overall, probably 99% of windows users will never even see a command line, making it so that if a user cann use a mouse and keyboard, then they can figure out almost any application. while with command line, there is nothing guided about command line

suppose someone hands you a linux OS and you never used it, and it does not have a help menu, then it will be completely useless as it will rely on knowledge that can not be gained through logic and reasoning.

A GUI solves this issue and sadly, linux only offers this the benefit of a GUI for a fraction of the OS.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
for those trying Ubuntu, try Linux Mint, i gave it shot (still using win 7 though, just better overall IMHO) and i really enjoyed it on my laptop. Was not and still not a fan of the icons on left deal Ubuntu is currently using :(

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Another article for people who can't cope with changing GUI's.

Seriously, people are against any change, does not matter what it is or if it actually improves things or not.

Next in tomsguide: how to change in software X version A+1 the color from the Big Button(RM) from the hidious new color to the good old one. To do this you change one Least Significant Bit.
in hex: AABBCD -> AABBCC
With articles we can slaim the evil beast that is changes, does not matter than changes are necessary to fix problems anyway I want my 15 year old Windows 95 pc to do everything that is possible with the newest high-end gaming pc. Hey all games are alike aren't they?

G

You can open multiple instances of programs from the taskbar by middle clicking on the icon.

G

Does anybody know if the search function has returned to being functional like it was ipre Windows 7? I need to hit the Start icon and have the search actually WORK! I have yet to find indexing that fixes the problem.

G

@annymmo why not like the changes? because im not obligated to, no one is. see, the fact that people have to go through workarounds to return OS w8 back to a "usability" status is living proof that this OS sucks. the fact is, its true that having to hover your mouse to see the start button, decreases productivity by itself, but thats the tip of the mountain. people should not be forced to accept touch-friendly GUI's that make, absolutely no sense for the power user. maybe if you are one of those ipad users and intouch with your metro cell phones, you love the features herein, but the main purpose of those gui's were for them to REPLICATE the current OS's features in terms of productivity, instead this GUI which is meant for power desktop users is being emblazoned into a real high end OS. people still use mice and keyboards. they dont type into their touchscreen, thats what this windows 8 attempted to recreate, but its vrey rubbish.

Redblade8

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
No need for vistart ^_^
A program that I've been using for years is Classic Shell, which is a much better program than vistart, and offers much more customizations that you could do.

If you wanted, you could even create the Stardock Start 8 start menu with Classic Shell ( or anything you wanted really..) . I currently have the Windows 98 start menu right now. ;D

Classic Shell is not only free, but open source as well. =)
Consider donating if you like it, the developer is very nice, and helpful. ^^

curtomo788

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
you should not want to go back an OS, just shows how lazy people are you try and understand tech, just think when we don't need to carry laptops around because we have something far more supreme and people are like ill carry a laptop again because its nicer. just give it tim like everyone did windows XP!

Status
Not open for further replies.