How to measure and compare PC performance under Win 7 vs Win 10

seanspotatobusiness

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
I have an old Acer Aspire 5738Z and I'd like to figure out whether it operates faster with Win 7 or Win 10 without my subjective guessing. I'm pretty sure it was better with Win 7 but I could be wrong so I'd like a more objective measurement to compare with. Is there an application that will give a good idea how the PC is performing doing things like opening programs, loading from a page file or loading a webpage? I'm not sure a CPU benchmarking program is appropriate for this. Thanks.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Do you have any numbers from the original Win 7 install?

seanspotatobusiness

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010

Numbers from what?

USAFRet

Illustrious

Performance numbers.

For instance, if you want to compare the speed of opening Application X in Win 7 vs Win 10...you must have both numbers.
What was it in Win 7, and what is it now in Win 10?

If only Win 10 is currently installed, you have nothing to compare to.

However...across all my systems, I have seen pretty much zero difference between 7 & 10. If anything...10 is a teeny bit faster.

seanspotatobusiness

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010

Sorry for not being clear but the point of this thread was to find out how to obtain performance numbers. With that information I would obtain the numbers for Win 10, reinstall Win 7 and obtain those numbers again to allow comparison.

USAFRet

Illustrious

A stopwatch.
Multiple repetitions of the same procedure, and average the time.

However, you'll run into repeatability concerns. Are both systems running the exact same software? All the background processes the same?
Same browser version, etc?
Flushed the browser cache after every test?
Any hardware limitations? Win 10 is slightly lighter on the hardware, so if the RAM is limited, for instance, that might give a nod to Win 10.

And "loading a webpage" introduces variables beyond your control...network performance at that moment.

But from my personal experience with 7/8/8.1/10...I doubt you'd see more than a 5% difference, in either direction.
For me, though...Win 10 feels a teeny bit faster. Totally subjective, though.

Marqo_

Prominent
Mar 20, 2017
Same problem here. For me windows 7 also feels a little bit swifter. Also my 2011 samsung laptop does not have specific windows 10 drivers. Anyhow, in search of an objective benchmark i have used coretemp software to monitor core temperature and core load -it is better with w7.