How to migrate my Windows 8 to a new Storage

HaiMush

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
Hello guys, I have an ASUS Laptop, my Laptop has an HHD with Windows 8.1 (installation), I just bought a new SSD, and I would like to just take the Windows 8.1 Installation partition and reinstall it on my new SSD.
I would like if that possible and if so, how do I do that.

*My laptop comes with Windows 8.1, not CD, it's a recovery partition.
Thanks for the support.

Solution
The easy way is to use their ssd migration tool to copy the hard drive to the ssd.
You can do a selective copy, omitting large files if you want.
This will be better than a clean install which is possible.
On a clean install, you will have to find and install the drivers for your laptop.
Depending on what drive you got, it may have come with migration software (Samsung drives have this)

Otherwise there is many ssd and hard drive clone software out there.

Paragon makes an inexpensive one specific for SSD.

I have used macrium reflect to make a drive clones to SSD multiple times, but that just gets the C drive and not the original recovery partition.

HaiMush

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
I bought the Samsung SSD 850 EVO.
I would like to just take the Windows installation and install the Windows without any other applications.
Does Samsung offer some application to do so? I mean to take only the Windows installation.

geofelt

Distinguished
The easy way is to use their ssd migration tool to copy the hard drive to the ssd.
You can do a selective copy, omitting large files if you want.
This will be better than a clean install which is possible.
On a clean install, you will have to find and install the drivers for your laptop.

Solution

HaiMush

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
Yes, but by clean install I'm talking about the Windows 8.1 (build in with the original HDD), which comes with the laptop drivers, as much as I know.
but I think I'll give the SSD migration tool a try.

HaiMush

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
Well, I come up with an idea to clean install my original HDD (I already backed up my files) and then just image the HDD with the clean installed windows and migrate it to my SSD, but when I try to use the Windows 8.1 clean install it asks for a media in order to do it, the laptop came with preinstalled Windows 8.1, is it one time use only or what? how can I clean install my windows if I did not got any media disk or anything to do it with?