How to prevent underclocking?

Ronnie_Nine

Commendable
Sep 28, 2016
Hello there,
I'm in a deep trouble right now.
My laptop is running fine, and when it comes to gaming, it performs pretty well.
Well at least, for a minute or so, when he thinks that he's eventually overheating.
It's not overheating, he's got an external fan, and he's cool. But after every 3 second or so, the laptop fan keeps getting louder, and it eventually slows down the processor, causing huge lag spikes.

Is there any way to stop it from UNDERCLOCKING? I take responsibility if it causes damage :)
Thanks in advance

Solution
Take apart the laptop, clean it out, apply new thermal paste to the heatsink. You say you are OK with stopping the safety mechanism of the CPU to clock down before damage, but that is only because you are so sure that you won't damage anything. If we told you you had a 50/50 chance to kill the CPU would you still do it? Unless you are looking for an excuse to get a new laptop, then by all means try to kill the CPU LOL

Ethanh100

Estimable
Jun 10, 2014
Download HWMonitor and monitor your cpu temps while gaming. If the cores of the cpu are reaching 75+ degrees celcius, or the gpu is reaching 82+, then your system is overheating.

UNDERCLOCKING as you said, is a safety mechanism, so you say "tell me how to remove the safeguard and I take full responsibility". Checked and signed.

OK, try disabling Intel's Speed-step, hopefully this setting is in the BIOS. Also in BIOS, configure for PERFORMANCE mode, not quiet, not battery saver, not standard.

Ronnie_Nine

Commendable
Sep 28, 2016
Oh, my apologies, I forgot to say that I have a AMD laptop with an APU. That being said, nothing useful was found in the bios. (I think it was the BIOS).
Gonna measure the temp. anyway tho. I just can't find a way to bypass the "safeguard"

JeffDaemon

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
Your fan may be on and it may be blowing up a storm, but it isn't cooling as good as you think it is. Your fan speed keeps going higher because your cpu temp keeps going higher, or staying at a high temp. And in laptops there isn't a lot of fixes, you can try cooling pads and adding better paste to the heatsink, but if the heatpipe or find or fan are inefficient then it will still cool badly.

And amd apus run HOT!

Take apart the laptop, clean it out, apply new thermal paste to the heatsink. You say you are OK with stopping the safety mechanism of the CPU to clock down before damage, but that is only because you are so sure that you won't damage anything. If we told you you had a 50/50 chance to kill the CPU would you still do it? Unless you are looking for an excuse to get a new laptop, then by all means try to kill the CPU LOL

Solution