How to Prevent Your Nude Photos from Going Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
you just gotta laugh at these idiot, just because a service has a cutesy name doesn't mean its safe and secure... also what kind of idiot uploads personal pictures to a public storage site... for 1 you may want to delete them 1 day so you do and you think there gone... sorry what about the backups the server uses every day... like i said prize idiots...

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
I love the part where he says "if you absolutely must nude selfies"... please, Define ABSOLUTELY MUST :D. (Earth gonna implode if you dont do it or something?).

I do have to say that When I had a compromising picture, I kept it under a external HDD, with 3 layers of protection, hidden in a hidden folder, in a sea of fun/stupid pics (and I mean a SEA, it was at least 300 MB of files with the size of 400kb), mixed in a caotic amount of folders all named things like agsaefgae, or asgafefa, and never connected it to any PC that was online, past, present of future, unless a full format was performed first.

And I STILL know a way that someone could have accessed it without breaking into my home.
Paranoid? Yeah, Id say so, but at least I know those pics will never hit the internet (especially since they are long gone now).

When you are young you might make the mistake of taking these sort of pics, but usually you grow smarter and delete them in a 3-5 year time. Obviously that requires to remember that you actually have pictures like that around.

Paul Wagenseil

Senior Editor
Apr 11, 2014
cats_Paw, most of these people probably had no idea that their images would be automatically backed up to cloud services. They're not going to take the trouble of stashing the pics on an encrypted hard drive, no matter how much we tell them they should.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
The problem is that two-factor assumes that you have a smartphone. I don't, my parents did not until very recently, and most of my relatives do not (they have the cheap "Obama phones" that they bought and paid for because they are cheap and good).
So, two-factor is not a solution. IP address filtering might be or geo-location filtering might be a good one.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
IWhen you are young you might make the mistake of taking these sort of pics, but usually you grow smarter and delete them in a 3-5 year time. Obviously that requires to remember that you actually have pictures like that around.
Why is it a 'mistake' to take these kind of pictures? Last I heard, the human body was a natural, normal and not obscene thing, clothed or not, except in the minds of the uber-religious.
Maybe it is more time to normalize the taking of these kinds of pictures so that the blackmail and shaming thing disappears.

Status
Not open for further replies.