How to transfer data from a dead laptop to desktop

Hess66

Estimable
Aug 30, 2014
so what the brand name or type I need for a PATA HDD to do the transfer? Can someone provide a link or point me in the right direction?

Solution
clicking the link brings up a video? Weird, it doesn't do that for me at all...Ok, type in "Rosewill RX35-AT-IU BLK Aluminum 3.5-Inch IDE to USB 2.0 External Enclosure (Black)" on the amazon search bar and it should be the first one you see on the results page. Note if you're not using amazon's US page (amazon.COM), it might not be listed.

Hess66

Estimable
Aug 30, 2014
It was an older desk top. The main drive died and the other drive where I had all the pictures and music is fine, but I need to get that off. The drive says PATA 8 mb Western Digital Drive.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Okay, I was confused because your title says you wanted to transfer from a "dead laptop to desktop"

If you're in the US, you can pick this up for cheap and plug it into your laptop: http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-RX35-AT-IU-BLK-Aluminum-Enclosure/dp/B004BU6ITW/

It's more expensive than the 2.5" ones, but that's the nature of the desktop hard drives.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
clicking the link brings up a video? Weird, it doesn't do that for me at all...Ok, type in "Rosewill RX35-AT-IU BLK Aluminum 3.5-Inch IDE to USB 2.0 External Enclosure (Black)" on the amazon search bar and it should be the first one you see on the results page. Note if you're not using amazon's US page (amazon.COM), it might not be listed.

Solution

Hess66

Estimable
Aug 30, 2014
I did and bought it. I appreciate all your help and all the time you spent answering my questions. When the computer died, I panicked. I called best buy and they wanted to charge me 100. I thought no way, there has to be another solution. So I joined this site and problem solved. Thanks again!