How to uninstall Microsoft Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 7, 2021
It did work for 2weeks. I thought i got rid of edge. But again the same problem has come back. Can u plz guide about what to do now. I have tried many different ways but didnt work.

Sep 25, 2021
Ahem.... Will the registry modification in
"How to uninstall Microsoft Edge: Stop Edge reinstalling"
Work in Windows 7?
Thank you for your reply!

Sep 29, 2021
The commands provided in the post did not work for me, however by tinkering just a little, they ran just fine, so I'll share these changes.

In case the commands don't work, try this:

1. Instead of:
cd %PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\Microsoft\Edge\Application\<edge version>\Installer

use

cd ${Env:ProgramFiles(x86)}\Microsoft\Edge\Application\<edge version>\Installer

Explanation: ${Env:<variable>} is a string substitution of an environment variable . Does the same as what %<variable>% should do, but the first wasn't working here.
(don't forget to replace <edge version> with your respective edge version, as instructed in the post)

2. Instead of:
setup.exe --uninstall --system-level --verbose-logging --force-uninstall

use

./setup.exe --uninstall --system-level --verbose-logging --force-uninstall

Explanation: Using "./" before a command tells the commandline that the issued command is a file located in the current directory (the one you have used the "cd" command to switch to).

P.S.: You can avoid the second step by issuing a single command instead:
${Env:ProgramFiles(x86)}\Microsoft\Edge\Application\<edge version>\Installer\setup.exe --uninstall --system-level --verbose-logging --force-uninstall

Last edited:
Reactions: benjegbert78
Oct 28, 2021
Everything worked perfectly, except the registry trick: I had the magical key, but MS however succeeded to reinstall Edge in the last update! (KB5000736)
I had to follow the procedure again, but I'd really like to get rid of it definitely...
Thank you.

Dec 17, 2021
The commands provided in the post did not work for me, however by tinkering just a little, they ran just fine, so I'll share these changes.

In case the commands don't work, try this:

1. Instead of:
cd %PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\Microsoft\Edge\Application\<edge version>\Installer

use

cd ${Env:ProgramFiles(x86)}\Microsoft\Edge\Application\<edge version>\Installer

Explanation: ${Env:<variable>} is a string substitution of an environment variable . Does the same as what %<variable>% should do, but the first wasn't working here.
(don't forget to replace <edge version> with your respective edge version, as instructed in the post)

2. Instead of:
setup.exe --uninstall --system-level --verbose-logging --force-uninstall

use

./setup.exe --uninstall --system-level --verbose-logging --force-uninstall

Explanation: Using "./" before a command tells the commandline that the issued command is a file located in the current directory (the one you have used the "cd" command to switch to).

P.S.: You can avoid the second step by issuing a single command instead:
${Env:ProgramFiles(x86)}\Microsoft\Edge\Application\<edge version>\Installer\setup.exe --uninstall --system-level --verbose-logging --force-uninstall

Thank you ever so much! as you have known, the cd command did not work as it was originally posted, but you saved the day with your fix! I am indebted to you, kind Zetein, for your very good advising.

Status
Not open for further replies.