How to upgrade Acer Aspire hard drive to SSD

coltf0rty5

Estimable
Dec 12, 2014
i just recently acquired an Acer Aspire V3-572G-54L9 and it came with a 1TB 5400 RPM HDD. I would like to upgrade the hard drive to an SSD but was wondering exactly how to do that. I used to be a computer guru slightly but that has been over a decade ago. The last computer I purchased since this one had an 80gb hard drive if that tells you how long it's been. I was wondering if anyone else is familiar with this laptop and if its possible to operate with 2 internal hard drives. It would be nice to run windows on the SSD and also have the 1TB storage on the HDD. If that's not possible then how could I switch to an SSD only and clone the hard drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
what kind of ssd you thinking of buying. if you buying a samsung ssd.

ull need this http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-2-5-Inch-Aluminum-Enclosure-EC-TB4P/dp/B005EIGUD4/ref=cm_cr_dp_asin_lnk

1) Make sure your new SSD has enough space to copy all your existing data. My original laptop HDD was 300GB, but I was only using 60GB. I bought a 120GB SSD and that was fine.
2) Small phillips head screwdriver (hopefully you already have one in your house)
3) 2.5" SATA III enclosure (purchased separately). I bought the following Sabrent USB 3.0 enclosure and it actually came with a phillips head screwdriver. Personally, I wasn't crazy about the Sabrent enclosure because it looked and felt cheap, but it did the job. Sabrent USB 3.0 To 2.5-Inch Sata...
what kind of ssd you thinking of buying. if you buying a samsung ssd.

ull need this http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-2-5-Inch-Aluminum-Enclosure-EC-TB4P/dp/B005EIGUD4/ref=cm_cr_dp_asin_lnk

1) Make sure your new SSD has enough space to copy all your existing data. My original laptop HDD was 300GB, but I was only using 60GB. I bought a 120GB SSD and that was fine.
2) Small phillips head screwdriver (hopefully you already have one in your house)
3) 2.5" SATA III enclosure (purchased separately). I bought the following Sabrent USB 3.0 enclosure and it actually came with a phillips head screwdriver. Personally, I wasn't crazy about the Sabrent enclosure because it looked and felt cheap, but it did the job. Sabrent USB 3.0 To 2.5-Inch Sata Aluminum Hard Drive Enclosure Case (for 9.5mm, 12.5mm 2.5-Inch SATA-I, SATA-II, SATA-III HDD and SSD) Black (EC-TB4P)
4) Hard drive cloning software (Samsung includes this with their SSD).

BASIC steps to upgrade/swap hard drives:

1) Install SSD into 2.5" SATA hard drive enclosure.
2) Plug enclosure into USB port of laptop (USB 3.0 will be a LOT faster than USB 2.0).
3) Install hard drive cloning software onto laptop (Samsung provides the software with SSD).
4) Follow instructions to clone old hard drive from laptop onto new SSD (Samsung software makes it very easy).
5) Shut down your laptop, unplug the power, remove battery and uninstall old hard drive.
6) Remove SSD from enclosure and install into laptop.
7) Reinstall battery, plug in power and restart laptop.
8) You're Done!

Solution