How to Upgrade PS3 Games to PS4 Versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

pastydavid

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
I like this too. Although, I will most likely buy the One. I just bouth Ghosts digital download for Xbox 360/One for only $10 more. This lets me play with all my friends who don't buy the One and then play on the One when I'm by myself.

iamadev

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
I too am more likely to get a One but that is a great feature, shame it is time limited though. I would imagine there will be lots of people wanting to port their old game collection over to the new consoles.

The shame in all of this is that it is likely for selected titles and a short period only. A permanent fixture like this for all or most titles would be a huge feather in the cap of either PS4 or XB1

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I have to say that I am against it, the reason why is because not this makes a profit motive to not include backwards compatibility with previous consoles which of course this generation of consoles now completely lacks. Why would the console manufacturers ever consider bringing such a feature back if they and the game publishers can make more by re-selling the same games this way?

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
@NuclearShadow
They lack backward compatibility because the architectures are very different. It is a good thing they are allowing $10 upgrades only rather than buying full games again. If there was a simple porting system from previous to current gen, the upgrade would still require some investment from a developer I think, so even then a price for it would be justified. In this case, the game development would be totally different, so it is only fair to charge a small amount.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
He is correct on lack of backwards compatibility. Since the new console is based on x86 architecture it'll be alot easier to program so $10 is reasonable cost for upgrade.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
@Nuclearshadow:
Agreed. The choice to move from the IMB powerpc based cell to x86 is an architectural change that they fully knew would have this effect.
I see math that works like this: Pay $60 for a PS3 game, later charged an additional $10 to migrate it to the PS4 version. Effectively a $10 punishment for the PS3 game purchase, or, maybe an indication to expect $70 PS4 games? Sony adds lipstick to this pig of an idea and then rolls it in glitter.
That would be like charging PC gamers extra money for a directx 11 patch for a directx9 gaming. The content didn't change, only the visuals.
The general unsuspecting public has no idea that Sony designed this from the beginning and is fooling everyone who opens their wallets to it.

@rohitbaron.
Do you know of a workstation where any of the source code for these games are created on the IBM PowerPC Cell BE platform that the PS3 uses? I'm betting that they are source-code developed on something x86 based, then compiled into object code optimized for the Cell BE platform. Assuming this is the case, and the src code is properly written, couldn't they go back and re-compile the old title and release it as a patch for software the paying customer had already purchased. (Just like shipping printer drivers for both MAC and PC).

blahshmiah

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
I did just as instructed in this article. I was asked by my ps4 if I wanted to download the multiplayer or single player mode first. I elected for the multiplayer. After it the multiplayer part was finished downloading (the single player part is still downloading at this point), I hit the "X" button to install it. Now it just sits on a blue screen that reads Application Update at the top, Installing Application and a moving circle in the center of the screen, and I have 1 option to hit the "O" button to go back. Which if I do, the install doesn't continue in the background that I know of. Been sitting on this screen for 45 minutes now. It took less than that to download. Someone PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

DrBackwater

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
Okay lets clarify "one" thing for kick starters, it's called xbone, because once it releases it too will get destroyed like the playstation 4 did.

It should be xbox 720 but microsoft realised it's bad idea becasue the console must scae from 720p to 990p to actually be great at 30 frames per second, and that's great? (but not for microsoft, they prefer people not knowing that the xbox 360 scales from 240p to 720p)

So, we come back to xbone.

miguelrwilliamson

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
<b>my neighbor's half-sister makes $82 an hour on the internet. She has been out of a job for 8 months but last month her check was $21541 just working on the internet for a few hours. visit here =====>>> http://www.jobs25.com<b>

BrianCPerkins

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
my buddy's step-sister makes $72 an hour on the computer. She has been laid off for 8 months but last month her payment was $12918 just working on the computer for a few hours. Here's the site to read more........... http://www.fb49.com

Status
Not open for further replies.