How to Upgrade PS3 Games to PS4 Versions

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jance_Walk3r

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
@penisface6969, there's gonna be more features added to the ps4 via updates, so calm down don't worry. Also with a name like that I'm sure lots of people will take you seriously lol

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
I have a question. As I am not getting rid of my PS3, can anyone confirm if they will put restrictions on my PS3 version of the game when I upgrade?

s997863

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
I'm just baffled that this is being received positively. You could run PS1 games on PS2 at higher-res without forking out 10$. It was called backward compatibility and the games were "PS1 games".

Now they're calling them "PS4 versions"??! It's a PS3 game running on a PS4, not a PS4 game, unless there's some real difference between old/next version, which NOBODY wrote or asked about. Were these duped customers born yesterday or what?

"AAA" games are getting bad reviews from magazines/critics and these zombies are blissfully buying multiple copies?

s997863

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
I'm just baffled that this is being received positively. You could run PS1 games on PS2 at higher-res without forking out 10$. It was called backward compatibility and the games were "PS1 games".

Now they're calling them "PS4 versions"??! It's a PS3 game running on a PS4, not a PS4 game, unless there's some real difference between old/next version, which NOBODY wrote or asked about. Were these duped customers born yesterday or what?

"AAA" games are getting bad reviews from magazines/critics and these zombies are blissfully buying multiple copies?

s997863

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007

s997863

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
@Spectrewind
Well, while the code would likely be written on an x86 machine before converting it to PowerPC Cell architecture code, it couldn't be just the x86 CPU exactly same as the APU used in PS4. That means optimizations might have been done by the developer for the APU on PS4 and so, I believe it is not that simple as recompiling the same base x86 code for the game they wrote for PS3.

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
Rohitbaran,
it is that simple. Before compilation is just X86 codes. Compiling it will just change and strip any code unnecessary for that specific destination hardware

EoG

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
Can someone.PLEASE answer. Can i update my disc of.COD Ghosts on someone elses.ps3??.since mine.barely got the yellowloghtofdeath?

Lazh1

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
Hi, we bought the ghosts game for ps3, but cannot find the insert with the code for $10 ps4. Does anyone know if there is a way or will play station let you still get the deal without the code? I have the receipt and game. Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.