How to use laptop with desktop

AAA_1_

Prominent
Jun 1, 2017
I'm dealing with video editing, which means that I spend a lot of time for the chair, so I bought a laptop. Now my question is how I can use the laptop for the editing, so I edit on laptop but render the videos with power of desktop which is quite strong, also do not have to shift the videos that are sometimes larger than 50 GB. So i want to use laptop just for the edit while using resources from the desktop?

Thanks in advance

Solution

No, this will not work.
You can't just borrow the desktop CPU and use it in the laptop interface.

What you can do is do it all on the desktop, but remote to the desktop from the laptop.

The video lives and is edited and rendered on the desktop. You're just using the laptop to RDC to the desktop...

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
I don't think that is going to be possible. Even if you finish the editing on the laptop and save the file to the laptop,if your rendering software can render a file on a different computer on your network (your laptop), the data would still have to be transferred over the ethernet cable from your laptop, to the router, and to the desktop. I would just get a fast router and transfer the edited file back over to the desktop for rendering.

USAFRet

Illustrious

No, this will not work.
You can't just borrow the desktop CPU and use it in the laptop interface.

What you can do is do it all on the desktop, but remote to the desktop from the laptop.

The video lives and is edited and rendered on the desktop. You're just using the laptop to RDC to the desktop.
All the software lives on the desktop.

Solution

mjslakeridge

Distinguished

That is a good idea, assuming the editing software being used will allow you to work on it with a remote connection. I often remote into my wife's computer in a different room (my chair is more comfortable), but I have found that some things can't be done over the RDC. Certainly worth a try in this case though.

AAA_1_

Prominent
Jun 1, 2017

And how to remote control my desktop??