How to use roku without hdmi port on TV

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Classic Schmosby

Honorable
May 10, 2013
I just bought a second roku (roku 3) and was excited to put it to use. But the (hand-me-down) TV I have must be a first gen. Samsung hdtv (I can get the model and specs later if need-be) and there is no HDMI input! There are component video inputs, the other standard jacks, and what I think is an dvi or vga or avi?? input. I think there is an optical jack (I have to check tonight and can update, but it may have been an output). Either way, I understand that dvi is just video. I can't seem to find anywhere an hdmi cable that splits to dvi and male audio cables.

My questions are: What are my options and what is the best way to bring audio and video to the TV? Is it true that ANY of the audio would have to be converted to analog? What happens to the hd quality at this point? Will I ultimately have to go with an older model roku with component ports?

Thank you all, in advance!

mccrowsky

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
Hello,

Is anyone still on this thread that could help me? It looks like the HDMI to RCA 3 component converter works for some people and not for others? I recently ordered one thinking it would solve my problem, but I got it today and it's not working : ( I have been without tv for 8 months and have had this Roku 2 for one month! But can't figure out how to hook it up to get sound!!!!

I have read more than once that this converter should work. If anyone has any tips or insight to help me hook this up I would be soooo appreciative : ) thank you so much

Venkatesh_a

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016
check this product below in amazon, I used with Roku 3 and it works if you have only VGA port in TV. there is a seprate cable for audio also in the cable.

VicTsing Gold-Plated 1080P HDMI to VGA Adapter Video Converter with Micro USB & 3.5mm Audio Port Cable for PC/Laptop/DVD

mccrowsky

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016

Thank you for your reply, I actually ordered one of those just yesterday! I am going to try it and will update if it works or not. Thanks!!

garoku

Estimable
Jun 11, 2015
I have about 3 different Roku devices for a few different old TVs in my house. I have tried and returned several HDMI adapters, converters cables. I hope that my experience can help others.

In summary, just about every Roku can be used without an HDMI port, so long as you have the right parts.

If your Roku has an "AV" out port on the back that looks like a 3.5mm headphone jack, you need a composite breakout cable, such as this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Roku-Composite-white-yellow-Models/dp/B00DVEG2F4

If your Roku has ONLY HDMI or you have Roku Streaming Stick, you need an HDMI to Composite converter, such as this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Composite-Converter-Express-Premiere-Streaming/dp/B00ZQ38HRO

If your Roku has red/white/yellow outputs, then you just need a basic composite cable with red/white/yellow on both ends.

I would STRONGLY suggest you avoid really cheap HDMI converters, because many of them don't handle/decode HDCP, and others aren't compatible with all signals.

Also, there are cables out there that have an HDMI port on one end and composite connections on the other. I have no idea what these actually do, but they do NOT work with Roku devices.

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING THAT LOOKS LIKE THIS:
https://www.amazon.com/eBerry-Composite-Transmitter-CONVERSION-Transmission/dp/B01F77KXC0/
You get what you pay for!!

Status
Not open for further replies.