HP’s Elite x3 Phone Is a?Mini PC in Disguise

Status
Not open for further replies.

techy74

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Still confused MS has a feature that no one else has. Continuum looks like a great feature, a great way to target business users and others who could use an all-in-one. Why does a MS based phone need a Gmail , Google maps or Chromecast? How many businesses would use gmail over MS office?

Reviewing a business / smartphone should be more than how many apps in has available or amount of it's marketshare.

pushtak7

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016
I'm using the Elite X3 in a small business environment for about two months. It is, effectively, a 3-in-1 device. With Continuum I'm able to perform at the desk many "go to phone" tasks, like messaging. I feel it's a huge productivity boost. Also, a small business can easily setup a Remote Desktop Host Server (as my business does), use the phone as a thin client, and have all the full-featured programs and services at the desktop (without relying on the expensive HP services). All the jabber about paucity of apps and "ecosystem" sounds to me a lot like what we used to call "vendor lock-in". I get all the services I need through the Edge browser, and most of the "apps" are just wrappers around a website, anyway.

jdtomg

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016
Critical much? I knew it was gonna be a no review when right off the bat came "noticeably heavier than the iPhone 7 XL", at .21 oz. How in the hell you feel that difference is beyond me. Looked online for an example of things that weigh 1 ounce: slice of bread, 3.5 french fries. So the "noticeably heavier" is 1/5 of a slice of bread, or less than 1 french fry. If I add the rugged case, am I gonna be able to carry it? Gimme a break. And it's downhill from there. Not everybody that uses a phone wants to download crap to their phone, which is what most of the "20 gazillion million" of the iPhone and Android apps are. 99% is kid stuff. Windows Mobile will be back, and the people that want it are the people who are actually trying to do stuff other than Snapchat or Angry Birds.

Status
Not open for further replies.