Solved! HP DV1000 Issues

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
So my friend had a laptop that "wasn't working", so he asked me to re-install Windows for him. Simple enough. However, upon receiving this computer, I can see there are a helluva lot more issues than just Windows. Now, not knowing a whole lot about troubleshooting, I need some help.

First off, it WILL NOT boot a CD. I don't know why, but it just refuses to. I went into BIOS, changed the boot order, and nothing. It hangs at the black screen with the blinking white underscore for about 30 seconds, and doesn't recognize a disk in the drive at all.

Second, it insists that I re-install XP. I have an old XP disk that I use, and have installed on systems numerous times with no issues. However, when it enters the XP Setup, it says "Insert the CD labeled: Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 CD into you CD-ROM drive. Press ENTER when ready." It refuses to accept the disk I have.

When I attempt to boot into XP, it gets past the windows loading screen, and then blue-screens every time.

When I attempt to boot into any other mode (safe mode w/ command prompt for example), it hangs at sys.mup, and doesn't go any further.

So there's a large multitude of problems with this computer, and I really don't know where to start. Having it not booting CD's I can't even run MemTest or a HD Test Utility, so I just don't know where to go from here. I'd assume it's essentially just a paper weight at this point, but I'm just wondering if there's anything else I can try to do for my friend.

Thanks,

- Jesse

Solution
It sounds like it could be a bad hard drive. If you can find an old laptop hdd laying around, try installing that and see if that gets things in gear.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007

Alright. I'll try to hunt down a HD. Thanks :)