HP DV4 overheating problem.

robjon70

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Hello. I have a HP Pavillion DV4 notebook PC with Windows 7 home premium installed. The exact specifacations are in my signature. Anyway, ever since I've got it, it has been overheating. I did have it overclocked however, and that it what I thought was the problem, but I was wrong. In order for the laptop to NOT overheat, I have to fully negatively overclock the core clock, and the memory clock (I'm using MSI Afterburner by the way). And STILL, I get 90C-92C and it throttles while playing Borderlands 2 on minimal settings. I have do have a Targus space saving cooling mat under it, but that doesn't help a lot as you can probably tell. Any ideas? Should I send it in the HP? Do you think HP will fix it?

Also, if I do send it in to hp, I need to install my standard hard drive and RAM AND wipe the hard drive so they don't see I voided the warranty, right?

Thanks in advance.

robjon70

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012

I forgot to add that I did check the fans and there was no blockage that I could see, however, I will check with a can of air just incase. Thanks

Ki11ian

Estimable
Apr 18, 2014

He is correct, HP does not give a crap. I recently repaired a DV7 that had stock pieces of a rubber composite material instead of thermal paste. Avoid HP like the black plague

Jun 5, 2013

yea i second this assumption hp don't give a f***. my purchase of a hp notebook back 2013 when it was on sale and i was ignorant of this overheat problem.

i did manage to find a sufficient enough solution. not too much trouble but certainly a minus when contrasting with other notebook with no such overheat handicap.

i had to rest the motherboard directly on a cooling pad plus coolsense reduce temperature enough most of the time but especially important when running heavy duty apps.

i go with toshiba next time cuz i contrast the temp difference, whoppingly huge. 100 f vs 190f when they were both not running anything much.

one of my household member got a toshiba notebook.

hp is incompetent, period!