HP dv6-6105tx Blackscreen

FreeerunFlame

Estimable
Nov 20, 2015
When I try to install the AMD display Drivers for the laptop it'll end up in a blackscreen with a blinking underscore on the top left corner halfway through. It doesn't go back to normal and I'm forced to hold down the the power button to reboot.

If I use the AMD Display Driver from windows update or the HP site my PC boots into either a blackscreen after the starting windows animation or freezes at that animation. The blackscreen also seems different from regular ones it, looks the same as when my laptop is powered off except the keyboard led are still lit.

It's a switchable graphics notebook with AMD HD 6770M and Intel HD 3000 display on Win 7 x64. It used to work fine until the PC froze and subsequent boots led to a blackscreen after starting windows animation or freeze at the welcome screen. Factory reset didn't help, it still booted to blackscreen. So I did a clean install with a windows 7 boot disk and here I am trying to install the display driver.
Is the AMD card dead? It is shown as a Standard Vga Graphics adapter with error code 10 "This device cannot start". The notebook runs fine on the default windows display at low res and also on the intel display driver at normal resolution.

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- First is to load the laptop into Safe Mode with Networking.
- Once in Safe Mode with Networking, go to Device Manager and uninstall the AMD graphics driver.
- Next is to open Programs and Features then uninstall anything related to AMD.
- Once uninstalled, download and install the latest driver.
- Here's the link: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
- Reboot your laptop back to the normal mode and observe if the same problem will persist or not.
- If all these will not work the problem lies in your GPU already.

FreeerunFlame

Estimable
Nov 20, 2015
Tried all those, but can't seem to install the drivers. halfway through the installation the screen would flicker as it should but always ends up in a blackscreen with a blinking underscore that doesn't respond to anything.
A hard reboot then forces the laptop to use the Microsoft display Drivers on start up as the AMD installation was unable to complete.