Hp Elitebook 8560w Battery issue

ShantMcGant0

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016
Hey I've been going through a bunch of different websites through google search trying to to diagnose what exactly the problem is. I received this laptop 2nd hand, received a new "knockoff" battery(http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-8-Cell-Battery-For-HP-EliteBook-8560w-8570w-8760w-8770w-Mobile-Workstation-/131570790590?hash=item1ea23af0be:g:GbYAAOSwhcJWHgnN) and a Dell adapter (19.5v/6.7a/130w). Hp 8560w came with no OS and I installed windows 7 by CD on it and was going to upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10 through the windows upgrade program. However, I then just installed windows 10 from a CD instead due to complications with drivers and such. I left the battery installed and the AC adapter plugged in while i did all this. After getting windows 10 installed and updated with drivers and BIOS/UFEI I noticed the battery was not charging at all. I downloaded batteryinfoviewer and got these results:
Description Value
Battery Name Primary
Manufacture Name Hewlett-Packard
Serial Number 02055 2016/03/23
Manufacture Date
Power State Critical
Current Capacity (in %) 0.0%
Current Capacity Value
Full Charged Capacity 64,276 mWh
Designed Capacity 64,276 mWh
Battery Wear Level 100.0%
Voltage 13,257 millivolts
Charge/Discharge Rate 0 milliwatts
Chemistry Lithium Ion
Low Battery Capacity (1) 1,480 mWh
Low Battery Capacity (2) 2,960 mWh
Critical Bias
Number of charge/discharge cycles 0
Battery Temperature
Remaining battery time for the current activity (Estimated)
Full battery time for the current activity (Estimated)
Remaining time for charging the battery (Estimated)
Total time for charging the battery (Estimated)

I also ran the HP tools from boot and ran the battery test as well as a few more tests. Everything passed. the battery icon in the system tray for windows 10 shows a dead battery and a red circle with a white X in it. Hovering over it it shows "0% remaining" no mention if charging or not charging. I also left the battery in and AC adapter plugged in overnight without any change in battery state. Finally, I tried deleting/uninstalling the battery drivers from the device manager a few times, while this did change if windows 10 recognized the battery it did not charge it if I left it on. I did it another few times while resetting it and no change. I did a bunch of hard resets, removing the battery and unplugging the adapter and holding down power button. I'm not sure what to do next but i do not have a 2nd battery or another laptop ac adapter to test. Does anyone have any ideas?

Hi,

It seems like the battery is in good shape but here are some troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Start by removing the battery off the laptop then power it on with just the AC adapter connected and see if it will boot up normally.
- While the laptop on the desktop screen install the battery and see if it will charge or not.
- If all these will not work and you can get yourself another AC adapter to test please do try it as well.
- If ever you'll get the battery charge up to 100% do a battery calibration just to make sure.
- Here's how to do the calibration: http://www.tomsguide.com/faq/id-2342991/calibrate-battery-windows-laptops.html

ShantMcGant0

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016
did first and 2nd recommendations and no go still at same situation. However I noticed a Widnwos 10 update was not installed and did that. now the battery icon shows the red circle with white x blinking. Also when pressing on the battery icon i get

0% calculating...
Battery 1: This battery is not available for use
Battery 2: 0% and not charging

unfortunately i do not have a 2nd Ac adapter to test if it is the Ac adapter.

ShantMcGant0

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016
Just uninstalled the battery drivers from the device manager screen and it changed which number the battery is recognized as now shows
0% calculating...
Battery 1: 0% and not charging
Battery 2: This battery is not available for use

ShantMcGant0

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016
To follow up on everything and if anyone has this problem in the future, It wound up being the AC adapter. I changed to a HP brand adapter (18.5v/6.5a/120w) from a Dell adapter (19.5v/6.7a/130w). For some reason, a lower powered adapter but branded for HP worked...go figure...