HP laptop not switching on most of the time

Adi4u4882

Estimable
Jul 26, 2014
I'm using a HP Pavilion 15 E 001AX laptop and for the past two weeks or so i'm facing a weird problem with it. One day after normal usage, i hibernated my laptop for the night and then next day when i tried to switch it on, it just would not switch on, whatever i did it stayed off even when i tried to start it through the AC power. Then after researching online from another pc i figured out that some static electricity has accumulated in the circuits and i had to press the power button for 15 seconds to switch it on and finally it was powered on.

But the next day i did not have the same luck, again the next day it did not turn on and so I tried and to discharge the static by holding onto the power button but it not work. For many days i tried many stuff like removing the HDD, RAM, etc. but it did not work. And after a week, when i tried to switch it on without the internal hdd it worked, and after putting back the HDD also it worked fine for the day, and i was amazed how it switched on without me fixing anything.

But again today morning it did the same thing, but luckily the discharge of static electricity trick worked. But i want to know the real solution and cause for the problem, because this is my main laptop and during important times it just would not power on and it will power on some days. Do you have a permanent fix for this issue?

Sorry for this long passage i just want to give you the main picture of the issue.

Thank You

When you say you did the power cycle (discharge), you removed the battery and the adapter when doing this, right? All power needs to be disconnected when you hold the power button down for the static current to actually drain.

It sounds like a component, or possibly the motherboard, has an electrical problem that is causing the laptop to hang when you attempt to start it. That would require a professional to troubleshoot it, and they would probably need a volt-ohm meter if this is actually the case.

Adi4u4882

Estimable
Jul 26, 2014

Yes, removing both the battery and the power adapter.
I already tested the adapter with a multimeter, but its giving a reading of zeros, but still it charges the laptop. And i completely disassembled the laptop and tested the DC jack and the power button and also there seems be no signs of capacitor burns etc. But i still dont know how static is forming in laptops because thats how the problem first started. Any ideas?

Does your laptop board actually have electrolytic capacitors? Laptop boards seldom use them. Usually it's a MOSFET that goes bad in the case of electrical failure.

All that power cycling does is reset the EC chip. People say that some firmware problems are due to a static current occurring on the chip, causing it to behave incorrectly, but I can't confirm that "static" electricity is what causes firmware malfunction. It's just a common fix for the occasional start up failure.

Adi4u4882

Estimable
Jul 26, 2014

For the past few days it is working normally, i did not replace the motherboard or anything, I just disassembled and assembled it again and now it seems to work fine, at least for now, but i still could not find the root cause for this problem and I have tried all the HP provided diagnostic in the Boot menu and it says there is no problem in any of the components.