hp laptop power button issue

6ftnda

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016
hey guys have a hp laptop 15-g218au now the screen support got broken so pulled apart the laptop to repair it which is all good now fitted and working as it should. in the process have pulled the ribbon wire out of the power button. have got a new power button and fitted it. that's where my trouble starts you plug it in and it powers the laptop up but if you lock the wee tab it turns the screen off can pull the battery out and try to use the button to turn it on but does not work the only way it turns on is if you put the wire in place and pull it out has anyone got any ideas on this im scratching my head now thanks Jaymie

Hi,

I would suggest replacing the power cable while the laptop is completely off. It's not always recommended to replace parts inside the laptop specially if it's on because it may cause more damage. I would suggest to turn the laptop completely off, remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter then replace the power button. Once you've place the power button back in, you can put it back all together and test it again.

Zuleka

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016
Hey, i have a useless power button as well here is what i did:
I use the my Quick web browser key to start up mine and when the screen comes up press ctrl+alt+delete then press enter when the screen comes up again,
then it starts normally to the login. Yes this does take forever but it works.

6ftnda

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016

Yes that is what I have done I was pulling it apart again and forgot to take the battery out when it done it. it works fine when you turn it on you just carnt use the power button

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
lexahrro Laptop Tech Support 1
antopj Laptop Tech Support 2
Sérgio Ferreira Laptop Tech Support 0
Haika Laptop Tech Support 3
C Laptop Tech Support 2
URAIBLAKHANI Laptop Tech Support 0
R Laptop Tech Support 4
C Laptop Tech Support 5
C Laptop Tech Support 5
A Laptop Tech Support 5
M Laptop Tech Support 0