marabdl86

Prominent
Nov 8, 2017
HI
it's a HP Pavilion dv7 Laptop
AMD Phenom II N640 Dual Core processor 2.9GHz
6 GB ram
running windows 7 64 bit

My laptop most days turns on but the screen remains black. I can occasionaly turn it on and use it every now and then and when I keep on, and not shut it down it stays on and works great. When I turn it off and try turning it on soon after that's when I have problems. I usually have to wait an hour or so and it will kick on. When it does kick on( the screen image shows) I noticed the F11 keyboard light turns orange and it sure enough boots up normally. When the F11 light doesnt lightt up, I can't see my screen.

Like I said when the laptop boots up and everything starts like it should, it works flawlessly no problems even after having it on for more than 2 days.

Do you think this is a major problem and how much estimate you think to fix parts,labor total? thank you

Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

marabdl86

Prominent
Nov 8, 2017
thanks for the response Webworkings. I will try what you said and I hope i don't have to replace the motherboard for a graphics card :( I will let you know what I find when I get around to it. I'm typing this using the laptop I'm having this problem with, I hope it's nothing too serious

If the motherboard dows have to replaced, what is a fair price for parts labor? thank you