belhumeur

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016
I am no computer guru. Our HP Laptop screen stopped displaying and when I tried to conndet the HDMI to the TV, there was no output so I am assuming the video card is caput. is it worth replacing on a 5 year old laptop? where is the best place to find the part if so.

Solution

I tried 2 things I saw during research at various sites. I removed the battery, unplugged the unit, pushed the power button to discharge and reinstalled the battery, plugged it back in and it did the same thing. (2) I wrapped the unit, let it run for 20 minutes to get hot until it shutdown. I unwrapped it, let it cool, then started and the problem went away. It is probably short term fix but now I can...

belhumeur

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016

HP G62-435DX Notebook PC

Thanks. It looks like your laptop uses basic graphics included in the motherboard's chipset (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 Graphics). That being the case, if you have a video issue, there's a good chance the entire motherboard will need replaced (unless you or a local technician can reflow/rework it).

belhumeur

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016

I tried 2 things I saw during research at various sites. I removed the battery, unplugged the unit, pushed the power button to discharge and reinstalled the battery, plugged it back in and it did the same thing. (2) I wrapped the unit, let it run for 20 minutes to get hot until it shutdown. I unwrapped it, let it cool, then started and the problem went away. It is probably short term fix but now I can download all my files on Google drive for future if it goes out again. My guess is that it has something to do with the solder of the GPU on the board getting hot. It seems like an unorthodox solution but it worked. Thanks very much for your time and assistance.

Solution

BadAsAl

Distinguished
A reflow as mentioned in a previous post is essentially the same thing that you did, except the laptop is taken apart and the heat is directed at the GPU itself using a heat gun. Your method simply heated up the laptop until the reflow happened. These are not usually permanent fixes and can last a week or 2 years. Only removing the GPU and resoldering is permanent. Which is not cost effective on a laptop that old.

Got it. As BadAsAl said, that is essentially a sort of reflow. It sounds like the solder joints were the issue. What you did should hold you over for awhile, just bear in mind that it's possible this can come up again.

Anyways, glad you got it working! Good job on finding that.