HP May Have Abandoned WebOS in Smartphones

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MeanSquare

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
HP has historically had some of the best handheld products on the market. The Jornada line they did themselves, then they bought Compaq and had a good run with the iPAQ line. They haven't had a really stellar unit since though and it does seem that they've lost their way. WebOS looked like a good option at the time but it's been so slow that Android had and took the opportunity. In hindsight, HP might have been better going with Android and differentiating themselves by really good hardware (as HTC does) or really good software integration, especially in the enterprise area, competing directly with the BlackBerry.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
[citation][nom]rlopin[/nom]Don't you think the market is flooded with enough Android devices? Android is the obvious champion, really? This market is large enough for more than 3 major players, and nascent enough for any one to put a mark in it, especially one who has the resources of HP. Palm was simply too small and had terrible marketing and bad hardware for their amazing operating system.[/citation]

Spoken like a true lapdog of a corporate overlord. Yes, the market MAY be big enough for 3 major players, but WebOS certainly isn't one of them. It's an anemic version of Android. You can stay in denial like the paid schill that you are, or you can open your eyes and see that Android is a winner. People WANT Android. No one goes out of their way looking for WebOS. Get with the times.

heyguydaq

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
You say android is a winner? Because every manufacturer and their mom has it on their device?Weak. People don't want android,its what's available. With so many iterations and versions of the platform,i don't see how people can take it when they try to downlaod an app but it does not work because manufactuurer X is not ready for the update to that device. Android is watered down and diluted. And you are right. Most people don't know webOS. So do some research on webOS and really find out what it's about and how it compares. don't be the poor sap that bought the phone because it's cool and "with the times". hp webOS feb 9th would be a good place to start.

JPForums

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 hasn't gone anywhere so far and there may be even less room for HP.
I'm not sure where you are getting this. It launched in North America in November (3 Months ago). Sales are a little slow, but reasonable given the difference in market conditions compared to when iOS and Android 2.0 launched. Besides, as I understand it they are slowly gaining market share. It seems to me that it is far too early to say whether it will go anywhere.

"We get the sense [HP] may already be conceding the smartphone market," said Caris & Co. analyst Robert Cihra in a note to clients.
That's right. HP is going to pack it in before even trying to make a return on investment. If a product fails, you cut your losses. You don't spend all the money on R&D and then cut off a perfectly viable product just before release. Further, doesn't HP already have more than one smartphone scheduled to be released this year.
It may be they are suggesting that HP is conceding the smartphone market with WebOS. I disagree. WebOS has a lot of potential. In many ways, it exceeds its competitors. HP hardware will be of the same quality whether you load WebOS or Android on it. I see no reason why they wouldn't release a WebOS smartphone. The worst I could see them doing is releasing it along side a model with a different OS (I.E. Android). They may not take the smartphone world by storm, but they should at least be able to recoup some of their losses.

This is a tough market that does not only require tons of investment but ingenious ideas and the willingness to take big risks. Copying what is already there may not cut it.
Interestingly enough, there are still features of the original WebOS that other companies are trying to copy: proper multitasking, superior integration, etc.. I'd say WebOS does far less "copying" than their competitors. The reviews I've read thus far suggest that HP is trying to capitalize on the strengths of the original while filling in the obvious holes.

Cihra added to his rather sobering note that HP has a "poor track record" outside PCs and printers.
As mentioned in an above post, HP has done well with phones in the past. Having had success with both phones and computers, I can't see any reason why they shouldn't be perfectly capable of producing quality smartphones and tablets. Whether they do or not remains to be seen.

On another note: I am formally requesting that tomsguide/tomshardware post the author's name (or initials) in the link on the front page. I no longer read half the articles I used to because certain authors waste my time with obviously biased and ridiculous claims that have no basis in truth. Linking the author to the article up front would allow me to read more articles while wasting less of my time. I suspect the quality of the articles from said authors would also improve once they stopped getting inflated hit numbers from people who click on the article only to realize who wrote it and immediately proceed to the next article.

rlopin

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]Spoken like a true lapdog of a corporate overlord.[/citation]

Wow. Lapdog? Corporate Overlord? Paid Schill? A lot of name-calling anger there.

I don't work for HP, Palm or any company even remotely associated with them. I do not own stock in any either. I am simply a long term fan of Palm. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they are paid.

Don't you realize when you start off your reply with a sentence like that you lose all credibility, no matter how logical your arguments may be? Debating Skills 101. In this case, they are not even logical, rather they are an emotional response to someone disagreeing with you.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
I seem to remember this kind of talk about android when it first came out.
HP is not going to abandon WebOS.. they my change the name but it will still their OS.
soon many different devices will be running WebOS/ hpOS .. printers, touchpads, cameras and many others, not just phones.. this will all fit into the new (hpOS or whatever they call it) product line.

G

Why would they do that, when do you buy a company for 1.2Bn and then drop the main reason for buying it,.... WebOS. It is different and it does have something to offer to the market. Being a company is not always about going with what is selling the best at the time just so you can make the most growth. If HP were to go with android then they are just one brand in a sea of phones already out there. If they market them selves well, WebOS would stand and differentiate them selves from the rest of the market.

heyguydaq

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
well said furlow. hp/palm is laying down some strong foundations and will be able to bring innovation and a differentiated user experience to the mobile market. WebOS is scalable to multiple form factors and platforms. Smartphones, tablets, net/notebooks, desktops, printers, and toasters are part of the bigger picture.

G

Good grief. jkflipflop98 says HP has a hardon for webos when he can barely contain his raging android boner

G

This article really sounds ridiculous to me. The last thing that HP should do now is to bury the best available mobile platform out now and start to become a simple hardware producer. The next big thing that would happen in 4 years would be, that they would end up selling all their hardware production to China and do it like IBM and only provide corporate services.

WebOS is HPs chance to stay the biggest tech-company in the world by differentiating themselves from others with a good operating system and hardware, while at the same time providing a high vertical integration. For this to succeed they don't need 90, 50 nor 30% of marketshare at the smartphone market. They need to have some in ALL the markets and provide a whole ecosystem of services, devices and software across a wide variety of devices. From Smarphones, Tablets, Laptops, Computers, Printers to Toasters and Fridges ( ;) ).

You start your work at your Laptop at home, later you lay down on your couch and present some of that stuff to some colleges and change a bit. In the afternoon you went out to buy some stuff and meet friends. In the coffee shop your colleague calls you and you open up your documents and together you correct some of that stuff. Later on in the supermarket you look at your fridge from your phone and realise that you are running low on milk and buy some. The next day at work you simply log-in into your working PC and everything is at that state where you left it the day before at your mobile... That's called vertical integration! That's something that even Apple couldn't do now. Maybe Google will try to do it with their cloud integration and via the Web, but I'am not sure how well this would succeed.

G

Worst article ever. Everyone knew months ago that HP was announcing several new devices based on WebOS 2.0, and today, they are here, and they are hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.