Solved! HP Notebook 15-BA079DX - caddy problem

Apr 15, 2021
Good day. I have an HP Notebook 15-BA079DX. My issue is about a 2nd drive connectud thru Caddy in the optical DVD drive. It is not detected properly as it should be. Here are my laptop specs:

*OS - WINDOWS 10 HOME version 20H2 build 19042 64 BIT
*BIOS - F.37 - Latest BIOS as per HP website
*RAM - 16 GB DDR4
*SSD - KINGSTON A400 480 GB (connected thru the primary bay)
*HDD - TOSHIBA 1 TB ( connected thru caddy in the optical drive as DVD drive is disconnected)

-Laptop is good when SSD is connected thru the primary bay but the TOSHIBA HDD in the caddy has intermittent connection. If I opened the files from that drive or copied the files from it, it hangs and sometimes copies for just 5 seconds and then stopped
-Tried to swap the HDD in the primary bay but this time, the KINGSTON SSD is not detected in my computer even in the BIOS
-Since I am thinking that it might be a caddy problem, I purchased another caddy and now I have 5 different caddies in total all having problem. Since 5 caddies is impossible that none works, I tried to use another laptop to insert the caddy and Voila, they are working. I finally concluded that there is a problem with my unit and I even read an article in HP before that I have same problem with another user with same laptop model. Here is the link...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteb...e-2nd-hard-drive-which-is-a-SATA/td-p/5955489

Hoping for a fix into this as this was over 4 years but haven't found any fix. Thanks

Apr 15, 2021
Does anyone in here who have any ideas or possible solution for this issue? It just makes my computer unable to use the optical drive for a second drive. And probably the only thing I could do in this is to use a USB enclosure or thru a SATA to USB 3 cable connection connected to my drive which doesn't fit the purpose. As a CADDY should be the solution as it is fixed in the computer itself without any external connection. But it just seems impossible. Sighs...

Apr 15, 2021
The original DVD drive is disconnected and another HDD in a caddy is inserted into that slot. I think it should work because the new drive in a caddy is showing SATA 6 Gbp/s from another laptop but unfortunately it is not working in my HP notebook.

The link below is from another user with same issue as mine for almost 5 years ago in this forum and I think it is also unresolved.

The original DVD drive is disconnected and another HDD in a caddy is inserted into that slot. I think it should work because the new drive in a caddy is showing SATA 6 Gbp/s from another laptop but unfortunately it is not working in my HP notebook.

The link below is from another user with same issue as mine for almost 5 years ago in this forum and I think it is also unresolved.

Yes, not all drive docks work in all systems. Many times people try and they either need to buy a specific dock brand or it just does not work or is intermittent.