Question HP Omen X 17 Laptop - DON'T BUY IT

Apr 10, 2020
Hi,

I'm an very sad to say that I do not recommend the HP Omen X line for laptops, because they have plenty of issues that if you do a little Google search with the words "laptop omen x 17 keyboard issue" it will show you a lot of customers with the same problem.

Unfortunately many users are facing a hard time with their keyboard that after a few months or one year, some of the keyboard keys just stop from working.

Because this keyboard uses a different project, they sell it that you will have one of the best mechanical keyboards in a laptop, that's true about the sensation when you have to use it in a daily basis, it's precise, fast, but it's not reliable.

And I can confirm this because my HP Omen X 17 Laptop keyboard, after one year of use, the keys "A"and "D" just stopped working. So I contacted HP Support and talked about the issue. They said to do a lot tests, like, trying to restart the operational system, try to use with different applications, but none worked unfortunately.

So, they told me that I had pay an amount of US$400.00 for them to replace, because my warranty have expired. That's perfect if I haven't read from another customer, that he had paid for them to replace the keyboard and after a fews months, the same issue came back, but now in the new keyboard.

I said that I'm not going to pay for another replacement keyboard, so I have made what a lot of people would not do, change the keys all by myself, by unsoldering the keys P5 and P6, specialty keys used for games, that I never used anyway. So, I used the hardware switches from these keys to swap with the "A" and "D" keys. A little bit of soldering, but have to unmount the whole laptop to reach the keyboard (https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Notebooks/My-quot-D-quot-key-stopped-working-suddenly/m-p/7099051#M17800 ). After that everything was good, but after just almost one year ahead, the same issue came back, but now with the key "S".

And a new thing happened too, my battery started to swelled to point that started to open the back part of the laptop (https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Notebooks/Omen-X-17-Laptop-quot-S-quot-letter-with-lot-of-ixxuex/m-p/7505727 ). All of these issues you can find in HP Forums that happened with lot of users.

I know these issues may happen with all brands, but my big complain here is that HP said that they can't do anything to help me. I had and old ACER laptop, a mid-version, close to US$400, (10 years ago I bought it) that was working until I bought this "new HP Laptop". So comparing prices 400 bucks and the new HP Omen X 17 Laptop, that costs more than US$1,800 and they don't have any kind of customer support or warranty regarding these issues, so that's why I not recommending the brand OMEN-X for laptops.

Oh, but to be fair, if you guys need a printer or an All in One Solution (printer, scanner, copier), you can get a HP printer for sure, their customer support is excellent and they always resolved all the issues that I have regarding printing cartridges or the printer itself, that they usually replace the whole equipment for a new one.

If any OTHER REAL BRAND for GAMING LAPTOP would like to reach me and help me solve this issue, I would be glad.

Apr 10, 2020
After a few months, I just had to open up my laptop, undersold the defective button (key S) and replaced with the P4 key. So now I have only more 3 buttons that I'll be able to replace by myself without the need to buy new replacement parts. So again, run away from this laptop guys! Cheers!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Laptop General Discussion 0
abramzayed123 Laptop General Discussion 1
V Laptop General Discussion 6
marsmann11 Laptop General Discussion 1
N Laptop General Discussion 6
alphacoyle Laptop General Discussion 2
M Laptop General Discussion 1
LaptopGamer999 Laptop General Discussion 1
heyyywilo Laptop General Discussion 0
WickedGames Laptop General Discussion 1
O Laptop General Discussion 1