HP Pavilion dv2000 startup problem

dleavitt

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
My mother-in-law's laptop is having issues, which she has tasked me with fixing. Unfortunately I've run out of ideas as to what is wrong and how to fix it.

Here is what is going on as far as I can tell: When the power button is pressed, the lights turn on and the fan starts, but the screen does not seem to turn on. When I connect to an external display, there is no signal to the monitor. It does not go to POST or start Windows, and I can hear no hard drive activity. This stays consistent with or without the battery.

All this leads me to think that getting it repaired will be expensive, but I figured I'd ask the knowledgeable community of Tom's Hardware to see if there is something I'm missing.

Solution
if the issue is no post, meaning nothing on screen, "black", lights are on, fan spins, dvd spins for a couple of seconds, it could be the nvidia graphic controller. this fix should apply to the hp dv line with the nvidia chipset. u need to know where the graphic chipset is located for your model.

i have three HP Pavilion dv2412ca , one way to maybe temporarily fix the issue is to heat up the graphic chip to reflow the solder, the chip is under the keyboard area towards the lan jack. i used a blow dryer that blows very hot air. remove keyboard and blow the hot air in the center of the keyboard area about 2 inches to the right of the lan jack for about 1 minute keeping the blow dryer very close to the metal surface. let it cool down b4...

howardp6

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
What is the exact model number of the dv2000? When as it purchased and does it have a NVidia GPU? There was an issue with NVidia GPUs a while back and there was a settlement, which has expired. Replacement modtherboards were not availalble, so the laptops were replaced. There is a NVidia settlement website, which listed the model mumbers and serial number of the defective laptops. If it is still under warrantee you may be able to get HP to fix it.

dleavitt

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

The model is dv2500, and it does not appear to be part of the settlement. Probably out of warranty too. I did notice that it ran really hot the couple times I had been around it, so it may have just burned itself up.

vincom

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
if the issue is no post, meaning nothing on screen, "black", lights are on, fan spins, dvd spins for a couple of seconds, it could be the nvidia graphic controller. this fix should apply to the hp dv line with the nvidia chipset. u need to know where the graphic chipset is located for your model.

i have three HP Pavilion dv2412ca , one way to maybe temporarily fix the issue is to heat up the graphic chip to reflow the solder, the chip is under the keyboard area towards the lan jack. i used a blow dryer that blows very hot air. remove keyboard and blow the hot air in the center of the keyboard area about 2 inches to the right of the lan jack for about 1 minute keeping the blow dryer very close to the metal surface. let it cool down b4 trying to start it.

another area is right under the hard drive, remove hard drive and do the same thing there with the blow dryer. if it doesnt work try it again, or u may have to remove the motherboard and do the heating up that way. i have done this to all my laptops and it did work

Solution