Question HP Spectre USB Drivers

Apr 5, 2022
I apologise if anyone has already asked this - I did look but could not see he same issue. I have an HP Spectre, bought December 2020. I upgraded to Windows 11 a couple of months ago. It has suddenly started to (repeatedly, every 20 seconds or so) ping and warn me that "the USB device is not recognised". There is nothing in the USB port. I tried Microsoft support: very helpful, but could not resolve. HP support: useless - I entered serial number and it said "wait" for a couple of hours before I killed it. I've uninstalled USB drivers and reinstalled them and also reinstalled W11. Clearly (?) a driver issue, but my solution at the moment is to plug in a dummy USB (the wireless mouse one), which shuts the thing up. If I need the USB I think it will work. Anyone know where I can get correctly working HP USB drivers? Is this a Windows error? (I'm thinking of rolling back to W10 and buying a Mac)

I personally would roll back to 10. I have 11 on one machine and don't like it. They made significant UI changes that don't seem an improvement to me--just a change. MS has also upped the anti on insisting on collecting even more personal data. I suspect soon they will be converting Windows to a subscription. I made the transition to 7 (liked after getting used to it) then 8 (blah) then 10 (also liked) and tried 11 (blah). I go back even further to 2000, XP, Vista, etc. It seems like every other version is junk. 10 will receive support for at least a few more years and maybe by then 11 will be fixed. Is there some reason you need 11?

Apr 5, 2022
I personally would roll back to 10. I have 11 on one machine and don't like it. They made significant UI changes that don't seem an improvement to me--just a change. MS has also upped the anti on insisting on collecting even more personal data. I suspect soon they will be converting Windows to a subscription. I made the transition to 7 (liked after getting used to it) then 8 (blah) then 10 (also liked) and tried 11 (blah). I go back even further to 2000, XP, Vista, etc. It seems like every other version is junk. 10 will receive support for at least a few more years and maybe by then 11 will be fixed. Is there some reason you need 11?
Thanks Al. No, I just upgraded because they suggested it! Effectively my MS is on subscription already, or at least Cloud space and Office are. I might try that, though I'm pleased that the mouse USB has shut it up. I hardly ever use the USB port.