HP Stream 14-z051sa/z050sa 14" Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

featuredepic

Estimable
Mar 15, 2015
Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a HP Stream 14-z051sa or a 14-z050sa and I was wondering if the RAM and SSD could be upgraded. I would only want to upgrade the RAM to 4GB and the SSD to probably 240GB.

Thanks,

Solution
Unless they broke the Stream tradition, the SSD is EMMC and a part of the board. The memory is also part of the board. A card slot will add some storage capacity, but the aim here is almost everything on the cloud.

All of this helps keep the price of the unit down.

nukemaster

Distinguished
Unless they broke the Stream tradition, the SSD is EMMC and a part of the board. The memory is also part of the board. A card slot will add some storage capacity, but the aim here is almost everything on the cloud.

All of this helps keep the price of the unit down.

Solution

nukemaster

Distinguished
Normally this kind of thing is left to systems with more cpu power, but I would have to guess it would just take longer. In general CPU power is important for faster video editing.

Please note that Sony officially recommends the following. Note that Sony wants to see a 2.0ghz cpu. (but with no mention of cpu type/model and that makes a difference).
Microsoft® Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit or Windows 8 32-bit or 64-bit (including Windows 8.1)
2 GHz processor (multicore or multiprocessor CPU recommended for HD or stereoscopic 3D)
500 MB hard-disk space for program installation
2 GB RAM (4 GB recommended)
IEEE-1394DV card (for DV capture and print-to-tape)
USB 2.0 connection (for importing from AVCHD, XDCAM EX, NXCAM, or DVD camcorders)
512 MB GPU memory
Supported NVIDIA, AMD or Intel GPU
Windows-compatible sound card
DVD-ROM drive (for installation from a DVD only)
Supported CD-recordable drive (for CD burning only)
Supported DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW (for DVD burning only)
Supported BD-R/-RE drive (for Blu-ray Disc™ burning only)
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 SP1 (included on application disc)
Apple® QuickTime® 7.1.6 or later for reading and writing QuickTime files
Internet Connection (for Gracenote MusicID Service)

Jul 19, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from kynamnguyen23 : "Laptop Upgrade SD Card Storage"

I have a laptop stream 14 ax030ca, i want change the EMMC to SSD card, and upgrade the ram 4gb to 8gb ?
It's this working ?

nealmiller27

Prominent
Jan 25, 2018
I have a model HP stream 14 ax067nr. You can upgrade the memory to 8gb, perhaps 16gb/RAM (it *IS* after all, a 5thGen processor). Mine has 8gb/RAM. You must use PC3L, NOT PC3 memory. Ram needs to be "low voltage". I know this, because I did the upgrade myself. There IS a way to install a SSD, into the Stream 14, however, IT'S TEDIOUS, runs a high risk of failure if you're not *VERY* careful, because you have to patch the SSD into one of the USB 3 ports, internally. It's easier just to turn it into a Chromebook, than to do this.

Here are your options to give your HP Stream14 (ONLY!, This will not work, on the 11, or 13, as the memory is not upgradeable), a new life.

METHOD ONE!

First, do a factory refresh. If you can not, due to your eMMC drive being too full, You'll need "Unlocker" (free), and butcher up your O/S. It won't boot afterwards, however, Win10 needs at least 4gb of space to refresh. You can kill the C: partition, with a number of 3rdParty programs.
Take the laptop apart (easy to do), remove the 4gb stick of ram, then install an 8gb stick of PC3L 12800s. Reboot, and "Restore" your drive.

Once restored, you'll need to do a few things.

Kill the swapfile. If you have 8gb< or better of RAM, most likely, you won't even need one.
Turn off "Hibernate". With 8gb/RAM, it will boot adequately fast.
Install an SDcard, that never gets removed... EVER.

Get a high quality, high speed, 32gb, or 64gb SDcard (recommend SanDisk, don't skimp here!).
You'll need an external HDD for doing backups. I use a Mushkin, 960gb SSD to store programs and such, via a USB 3 port. Not as fast as a SATA, but adequately fast. I have set these up with mechanical drives (7200RPM), and they're "adequate". A SSD is better.

Send your "personal" folders to the SDcard, or the external drive. IF you *NEED* a swapfile, send it to the external drive. If you do this, it will need to be plugged into the computer whenever it's on.
Send Windows Temporary files, and your browsers Temporary files, to the SDcard. This can be done from, Computer>Properties> Advanced System Settings>Environmental Variables. If you need details on how to do this, Let me know. I'll post a separate "How To".

Save your pics, video's, music, downloads, etc, either on the SDcard, or better yet, the external HDD.

However, to me, this method is akin to the computer needing a colostomy bag, but, it is the SUREST way to successfully, keep it useful.

Here's the big one. You NEED to completely shut off Windows 10 updates. YES, you *CAN* do this. I do it all the time, and it WORKS. You'll also need a way to turn them back on, if you want. I do this on all my Win10 machines, and have since day one of the "free" windows 10 upgrade, here at home. I have a Windows 10 machine, that hasn't updated ONCE, since I installed the original, free version, the day it was available (ongoing experiment).

Want to know how to do this? You'll have to "google" it, as I'm not sure if HP, or Microsmurf would take kindly to me posting the registry edits here. I already have two, "Cease and Desist" orders from Microsoft for things I did, to improve Windows.

THIS will make your Stream 14 much more useful, and even play a few games on it, if that's what you like.

METHOD TWO!

Turn it into a Chromebook. There are dozens of YouTube vids on how to do this. It's easy to do, and doesn't take much time.. This will work on ALL stream models, however the Stream 14, can be "future proofed" a bit, as the memory is upgradeable.

METHOD THREE!

Install a smaller version of LINUX, and have a decent Linux box. YouTube videos, apply here too.

There IS a fourth method as I mentioned earlier in my post, however you're better off just purchasing a new HP15 budget computer.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Sorry, but that, IMHO, is a silly recommendation. Potentially dangerous.
1/2 the Windows updates are simply 'features.

Guess what the other half is? Security.

Care to guess where a LOT of malware propagation comes from? I'll tell you...Unpatched systems.

nealmiller27

Prominent
Jan 25, 2018
Nothing silly about it with these computers. Otherwise, they fill up with updates and become unusable, even when used as intended. I've already had to deal with these ,"sub-computers" over this exact, same thing.

I warn people that doing this is risky, but instead of investing in another computer that they CAN NOT AFFORD, They opt to do this. When you're a senior on a limited budget, or a single mom just trying to get by and feed your kids, and trying to find a job, you can't afford anything better.

People around here who DO buy these new, but CAN otherwise afford something better, wind up doing one of three things with them:

1) In the trash.
2) Donate to a local thrift store, where someone buys it.
3) give them to someone they feel is "needy".

Either way, I end up dealing with them.

A good firewall, AV, and Malware software, running mostly from the D: drive, is the best you can do for these computers.

Yes, silly, maybe from a tech perspective, Not so much when viewed from a human perspective.
Tech tends to ignore the fact that there are many people out there, who can barely afford to feed themselves, let alone spend $300+ on something other than food/clothing, who STILL need a computer. They buy these, because they cant afford anything else, and they have to be made to work reliably.

We are talking about rural people, where most businesses around here, won't even look at a hand written job application, or other .gov services are only available on-line.

Besides, these were merely suggestions, on how to deal with a real world issue, with real people.

Got any better suggestions?

USAFRet

Illustrious

I have such a device, an Asus Transformer T100T. 32GB eMMC drive. And of course a 64GB microSD in the slot.
It is OK for what is is...a basic web browser system.

The ONLY Win 10 updates it possibly chokes on is the semi-annual full refresh.
All others go through just fine.

And with the most recent v1803 update, it gives the opportunity to use that extra drive space in the update process.
Turning updates OFF ("You NEED to") is dangerous, especially for the tech uninitiated.

A real better suggestion is to steer those people away from such a limited device, and obtain a real PC for a similar price. A refurb from Dell Outlet or BestBuy, for instance.

nealmiller27

Prominent
Jan 25, 2018
Yes, that's the one, and it does indeed, choke it.

WHAT "extra" drive space? If your talking about on the SDcard, how do you get Windows to use it to place installed updates?. if you're talking about on the 32gb eMMC drive, How is that going to happen, if you only have 2gb of space, or less left?

I can't hold everyone's hand when they go to WalMart to purchase a computer. I "refurb" computers myself, and do a far better job at it than BestBuy, or Dell (Yeah, I know I sound arrogant, but it's the truth). Mine also come with a better warranty. however, I can't reach everyone BEFORE they waste their money. I sell my refurbs (properly done, BTW) between $140-$3000, depending on the machine. Not everyone is going to buy a $140 machine, when they can get a "working" one from a local thrift store, for $25, or can't afford $140. Not around here anyways.

In a few cases, a ChromeBook will suffice. I've turned a few of these into ChromeBooks. I try and go that route, if it suits the customers needs. Sometimes, it does not.

This issue may be a local one, but I HAVE seen this issue in other places also.

Right now, I have a Lenovo T420 i7-2640/ nVidia NVS4200/ 8gb/RAM/ 256gb SSD (I got the SSD for free), 1600x900 display, in nearly mint condition. $140. No bloatware, running Windows 7 PERfectly. I will sell it before the week is out, I always do, buy the person who really needs it, won't be the one who buys it. Yes, it's second Gen, but I'll put it up against any new computer for "General" computing).

Compared that to an HPStream, which is not only slower, it's far less useful for $25? Guess what gets bought.... UNTIL they end up bringing it to me to be fixed. These people eventually DO buy a computer from me, but not until they made the primary mistake of buying a Stream, or the like, thinking that it's a "normal" computer.

"A real better suggestion is to steer those people away from such a limited device, and obtain a real PC for a similar price. A refurb from Dell Outlet or BestBuy, for instance."

Yes! and it's a valid suggestion.... From a TECH POV.

This isn't necessarily, a tech issue, as much as a humanity issue.

I'm not dogging you, I just have a peculiar situation in this area where I live, and I very much DO appreciate your help, and advice. :)

USAFRet

Illustrious

With the v1803 update, Win 10 introduced this functionality:
gX4ntkj.png

This was off my little Transformer. It specifically lets you use some space from the microSD card if necessary.

And even failing that, the semi-annual update can be done from a bootable Win 10 install USB.
Boot from that, and it will do the Update, keeping everything in its current place. Applications, data, all that.

nealmiller27

Prominent
Jan 25, 2018
@USAFRet

NICE! Thank you so much! I'll certainly look into that. I appreciate your time, and effort in assisting me in this matter. Didn't know the "new" Windows 10 could do that! Previous additions didn't have that option.

Is this under Windows 10 update? I'm using "Windows 10 Home, build 10586".

I have a Stream/Win10 in front of me right now. I don't see it in:

Start>Settings>Update & Security>Windows Update>Advanced Options.

Can you direct me?

Thanx!

Status
Not open for further replies.