Solved! HP Zbook 15 - Keyboard no longer working

Nov 16, 2021
Hey Everyone,

My fiancée has an old HP Zbook 15 (6-7 years old), and it hasn't been updated in a very long time. I decided to try and get some critical updates completed for it. For some stupid reason during the middle of this, I did the Windows Disk Cleanup. I also did the system files cleanup during this time. This was a huge mistake, because now I'm not able to complete the rest of these updates. It's indicating it wants to update to Windows 10 too.

Anyway, during one of the restarts, the keyboard has decided not to work anymore. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the keyboard driver to no avail. No other changes have occurred during this time that would affect the keyboard. During this time, I've connected a USB keyboard to work on this laptop.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Craig

Solution
If you don't have Windows 10, you for sure need to get that. Older versions are no longer receiving security updates. You may have messed up a keyboard driver. Try starting in safe mode and see if that helps. On a machine that old, I would advise a clean install of Windows 10 (wiping the hard drive). Things will run noticeably better.

mrmike16

Honorable
That's strange, if the updates had nothing to do with the keyboard. Are you sure you are installing the correct driver when you reinstall it?
Try System Restore, and roll back to a date from before the updates.
You didn't say which OS this is on, but I think all of the Windows 7 and 8 computers got the "Update to Windows 10!" notification from one of the Windows updates.

Nov 16, 2021
That's strange, if the updates had nothing to do with the keyboard. Are you sure you are installing the correct driver when you reinstall it?
Try System Restore, and roll back to a date from before the updates.
You didn't say which OS this is on, but I think all of the Windows 7 and 8 computers got the "Update to Windows 10!" notification from one of the Windows updates.

I was thinking the same thing too. I would assume that doing Windows Update shouldn't affect the keyboard either. It was very strange for that too happen. I might have to do your suggestion, and process the System Restore.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,
Craig

Reactions: mrmike16
If you don't have Windows 10, you for sure need to get that. Older versions are no longer receiving security updates. You may have messed up a keyboard driver. Try starting in safe mode and see if that helps. On a machine that old, I would advise a clean install of Windows 10 (wiping the hard drive). Things will run noticeably better.

Solution